AR issue - kind of

Cobalt 60

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
119   0
Reaction score
I have an AR that I built up. Shoots beautifully. Runs like a top - except when using Tul steel cased ammo.

I don't put much of this through my rifle, but every once in a while I put a few through it. Bought it when I could not find anything else to shoot and it ran fine in my other AR's

I have heard that the Tul is a bit underpowered. and the failures I have with it are due to short stroking of the bolt.

I am considering cleaning/reaming the gas port of the barrel a bit to let a little more gas through. I would greatly prefer to find a hand reamer rather than run a drill bit through the port.

My question is for anyone else who has done this - what did you use, and did you find a suitable hand tool for the job?

I wouldn't alter a mil spec AR just to shoot the steel cased ammo, using a full power Nato SS109 might damage the bolt and certainly would cause undue wear on all moving parts that is if it didn't blow up or wear our prematurely. Shoot the Shiite in your other AR's it runs in all of mine but I wouldn't consider altering one if it didn't.

I wouldn't alter a mil spec AR just to shoot the steel cased ammo, using a full power Nato SS109 might damage the bolt and certainly would cause undue wear on all moving parts that is if it didn't blow up or wear our prematurely. Shoot the Shiite in your other AR's it runs in all of mine but I wouldn't consider altering one if it didn't.

I don't plan on enlarging the gas port at all - just want to ream/clean it out to make sure I am getting a full dose of gas. Plan on doing the same to the gas block. Again, no altering, just chasing anything out that should not be there and eliminating irregularities in the port.

You could just try a lighter recoil spring when you shoot TulAmmo

I don't know that I will be shooting a whole lot of it, anyway. Plus having to change springs out - meh. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I just figured that someone probably made a reamer or bit to clean out the port that was "spec" size or that someone had discovered something along those lines.

Back
Top Bottom