• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The tale of the rusty LCP 2

lesgobrandon

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
13   0
Reaction score
So this little(new to me) guy came home with me from a local shop, it was a super deal and everything looked ok when I was there. But little did I know... the extractor was stuck... it was not moving. A lesson to bring some snap caps to check the function. The store was awesome and said to come return it, but I had already been soaking it in CLP, and it became a project.

Now you can only expect CLP to do so much. It allowed me to be able to move the plunger, and get the extractor off. But, that spring, it took some prying. Rust all of the place. So again, another soaking in CLP, again, you can only ask so much of it.

Then came the idea. I need a sonic cleaner. Just so happened I knew someone with one they weren't using anymore! So I watched some things on the YouTubes... got a big thing of purple Simple Green. And after a soak, and a few cycles of sonic POWER! Man...

This thing is clean as a whistle. Lubed her up, put the slide back together. She cycled manually, and brought her to the range... ran like a top!

So now I'm into Sonic cleaning. Maybe not all the time, when things get real dirty... like after a night on the town with a 20$ lady of the... never mind. It works... the sonic cleaning, the other thing too.

Might have to add something else I saw... a tactical crock pot. Yeah, thinking an old one from the goodwill, some frog lube warmly bubbling, and after a sonic path... blow those parts with some air, and plop em' in a lube bath.

Also MCarbo'd it, new trigger, some springs.

Here's the pics, I know, didn't happen if I don't add em.

Attachments

• 20240409_085038.jpg
    20240409_085038.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 20240409_122853.jpg
    20240409_122853.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 48
Well the new extractor, spring, and plunger came in from ruger, finally.

Got those in... and the Mcarbo firing pin spring.

About 120 in parts in a 200$ new to me gun. Mostly a project, but it's come out pretty nice.

So things replaced:
Ruger Extractor, Spring, Plunger.
Mcarbo Heavy Duty Stress Proof Takedown Pin
Mcarbo Extra power mag release spring
Mcarbo Short Stroke Flat Trigger - adjustable
Mcarbo Trigger Spring kit (lighter hammer, firing pin, and return springs. 2.75-3lb pull now.)
Mcarbo Extra power recoil spring.

Mcarbo makes some good shiznick.

It was fun... needs another test at the range with the new firing pin spring and new extractor.

I really need to spend the money on a sonic cleaner. Dropping a whole gun or can in there would be stupid easy

It was stupid easy. Just pay attention to the instructions on the label. Youtubers were heating purple simple green up over 110f, there's a warning on the label to not do that. It worked for me. Brought the ruger back to life. Now I need another project.

Back
Top Bottom