AR pistol barrel lengths?

11.5 if suppressed 12.5 if not. My 2 cents. Huge performance gain from 10.5 to 11.5. Much softer recoil at 12.5 if not running a can.
11.5 is a good compromise. I agree with that.

I've got two 10.5's that I run suppressed 100% of the time. If you're running a can... don't think you'll see too much difference between a 10.5 and 11.5 out to 300m.

If you're not running a can... 12.5 is SO MUCH nicer shooting. Keep a 12.5 pistol build in my truck.

11.5 is a good compromise. I agree with that.

I've got two 10.5's that I run suppressed 100% of the time. If you're running a can... don't think you'll see too much difference between a 10.5 and 11.5 out to 300m.

If you're not running a can... 12.5 is SO MUCH nicer shooting. Keep a 12.5 pistol build in my truck.

10.5 is good. Big gain in velocity from 10.5 to 11.5.

I made the mistake of building a 7.5" 5.56 pistol with a muzzle brake on the end... Felt like I was standing next to a concussion grenade every time I fired it. Even with ear protection it was horrendous... can't imagine using it in a room in self defense without hearing protection... talking permanent hearing damage here... A flash can works great.. Noveske is nice, but the Midwest Industries works just as nice, comes in different sizes for like 1/4 of the price...

And as others have said, 7.5 lowers the velocity way too much... and Velocity is the one thing that makes the 5.56 a viable defense round... Obviously it will still kill, but you lose a LOT of power with a barrel that short. If you want a 7.5" barrel, go with .300Blk. If you want to stay with 5.56 then go with 10.5-11.5" for the best balance of shortness and power..

so going along with the 11.5" gang- what's a good reasonably priced barrel that comes in a 11.5". And if you go with a 11.5" what gas tube length options are there? just carbine? looks like if you move to 12/12.5 you can get mid length gas.

BCM looks like they are around $240
Ranier makes a 12" mid length gas @ $240
SOLGW is about $180
AR15 Performance has a 12.5" mid length gas @ $180
Daniel Defense CHF is $289.

I see Faxon and Ballistic Advantage all over the place, what's the consensus on them? I would prefer to get a better quality barrel (and trigger) as IMHO those are the keys to a good shooting rifle.

so going along with the 11.5" gang- what's a good reasonably priced barrel that comes in a 11.5". And if you go with a 11.5" what gas tube length options are there? just carbine? looks like if you move to 12/12.5 you can get mid length gas.

BCM looks like they are around $240
Ranier makes a 12" mid length gas @ $240
SOLGW is about $180
AR15 Performance has a 12.5" mid length gas @ $180
Daniel Defense CHF is $289.

I see Faxon and Ballistic Advantage all over the place, what's the consensus on them? I would prefer to get a better quality barrel (and trigger) as IMHO those are the keys to a good shooting rifle.

I have used Faxon on a couple builds and they seem good. Then again, I never used match grade ammo and tried to break MOA at 100 yards with it so who knows... For anything that I am ever likely to shoot at, it seems to do the job...

My favorite is 11.5”.

If you’re going to run suppressed, go with an 11.5” Sionics with the RGP (Reduced Gas Port). Still runs perfectly without a can, but helps things when you do.

Not gong to use a suppressor, I like barrels from Sionics, SOLGW, and BA, chrome lines or QPQ’ed. The Faxon specs look good.

Back
Top Bottom