Status
Not open for further replies.

dc5980

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
Hello Outdoors Trader community,

I heard about this page from a friend. He said the collective knowledge is very good. I am new to this group, so here's a little about myself. My wife and I have a farm which provides me with the opportunity to bow hunt, rifle hunt and coyote hunt. I traded my M14 last year for a go-cart for my kids, now I am without a varmint gun in the .223 caliber. I really want to start getting into building AR's. Can you guys get me started in the right direction?

Welcome Luke. May the force be with you. If you can't build an Ar after talking to everyone on here your in trouble. These guys for the most part are awesome. I said "for the most part" keep that in mind and don't believe everything you read. Have fun

Start with a stripped or complete lower. Some good brands are BCM, PSA, RRA, etc. You can also go with a billet lower for a little more money like Noveske, Seekins, Vltor, and Mega. It all depends on what you like and how much you are wanting to spend. Next would be to get a lower parts kit if you get a stripped lower. Then get a complete or stripped upper. If you go with a stripped you will need a bolt carrier group, charging handle, barrel, gas block and tube, and some type of rail or forend. As for bull barrels, I am personally not a huge fan of them, but with the length you will get more feet per second from the projectile. If you are going to be lugging it around weight is another issue and a shorter and smaller profile barrel will save you some weight.

It really depends on how much building you feel like doing. You can buy a built lower and a built upper, bolt carrier group, and charging handle and snap em together in 2 minutes, or you can assemble every pin and piece yourself in a few hours (maybe not the first time.) I would start by deciding what stock, barrel profile, length, features you want. Also if you're on a budget or top of the line. And of course the purpose, a heavy bull barrel varmint gun, a practical all round gun, or a light carbine that's still accurate "enough "

Most importantly, be aware the 2 most addictive things on earth are this sight and building ar's!

Russell, I get your point. Where, what brands to look at? Etc... What do you guys think about a bull barrel for building a varmint gun?

Once you get the lower (Armalite, Bushmaster, DTI, etc) then you start thinking about the other parts. Try jsesurplus.com for an idea of your different options. They've got good prices on barrels and other parts. Good luck! and welcome to the trader!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom