• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR15 Q: RRA two-stage trigger and CMMG .22 conversion

jsquared

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
43   0
Reaction score
I have a CMMG .22 conversion kit for an AR15 and have used it for many thousands of rounds in my old M&P15 with no issues except for the occasional misfire (ammo related). It was 100% mechanically reliable.

On Saturday I tried it in my new AR, a Stag lower/DPMS upper combo and was getting one or two failures every mag. The round would fail to fire, and pulling back on the charging handle would leave the round chambered. I would then drop the mag, let the handle forward, and the round would fire on the second time.

Friday night I installed a RRA two-stage trigger in my AR and am wondering if this might be the issue. The trigger is awesome and feels really good, but if you compare the standard hammer and the RRA hammer side by side the RRA one is about half the size of the standard. I'm wondering if the hammer doesnt have enough oomph to reliably strike the firing pin and fire in the .22 conversion kit. Kinda makes sense if you think about it. The model I have is non-notched like this:

[Broken External Image]:

vs. the standard trigger parts:

www.weaponeer.net_forum_uploads_Branny_images_2010_01_13_135330_AR15_trigger.JPG

Thing is, it had no issues firing .223 from the same rifle. So, seeing as how changing the trigger out takes 10 minutes I will probably throw the stock one back in and test out the conversion again just to be sure, but I was wondering if anyone has run into this and if you were able to track down the issue. With what is going on in my rifle it could be a number of things I think, anything from the mag seating to the kit being dirty to the trigger pack, or just a kit/rifle compatibility issue in general.

Last edited:
Yes. The bolt likes to not cycle correctly, I've used it in a few uppers with same results, take the bolt out and oil/clean it good

Folks are known to have problems when trying to use a 2 stage .... could try a heavier hammer spring and see how that works for ya.

I couldn't use one of those bolt-only conversion kits for my AR - I would end up firing a thousand rounds through it in a day and just fouling it all up. And besides, my 10/22 is a lot easier to clean! (Not to mention, presumably far more accurate at range) :D

Well a little update, I cleaned the dickens out of my conversion kit last night and despite it seeming not too dirty at a glance it did have quite a bit of buildup on the rails, right where the bolt face meets the chamber insert. It very well could have been enough to keep the bolt from closing all the way flush, which could have caused the misfires. So I cleaned it up real well last night, took it to the range today at lunch, and had one misfire in 100 rounds :) Gotta love it!

I couldn't use one of those bolt-only conversion kits for my AR - I would end up firing a thousand rounds through it in a day and just fouling it all up. And besides, my 10/22 is a lot easier to clean! (Not to mention, presumably far more accurate at range) :D

The conversions kits dont make your rifle any more dirty than firing a bunch of .223 through it. Maybe a bit more time to clean the conversion kit alongside the standard BCG, thats about it.

Im not saving a lot on ammo either. 1/10th the cost in ammo=shooting 10 times as much.

Back
Top Bottom