• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR15 Roll Pin Installation Tips

Clarke123

Default rank <4500 posts
Love Them UGA Dogs!
196   0
Reaction score
WAS: Cumming, GA NOW: Punta Gorda, Florida
There's already posted a lot of stuff on using roll pin "starter" punches, taping roll pins to roll pin punches, taping the receivers so as to prevent (too many) blems,
and (of course) beating the snot out of them with everything from tack hammers to brass headed hammers ... too whatever; even an excellent YouTube
by Midway featuring all of the tools that they can sell you ... but ...

Has anyone out there (successfully and reliably) used Knipex Jaw-type pliers like shown below?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q11mziNfzmc

Actual experience is most appreciated

yes , but i still used punch to get the last little bit even on both sides.

Used lots of tape.

I'll use them again

Photo-0018.jpg

Getting the job done the first time and without issue is ideal, however, trial and error (IMO) is the best learning method. My first lower build, I used the butt of a screw driver for the trigger/hammer pins. I used a rubber mallet with a punch to drive the roll pins.

Its certainly a cool way to install roll pins... but $50+ is a bit steep. I managed to build two lowers without mangling them using the traditional masking tape and roll-pin punch method. I think that the punches cost about $15.

On my second lower/trigger guard, I used one of the magpul ar trigger guard screw kits... about $5, and that just left the catch roll pin to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom