• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ar9 broken bolt catch

GoDawgsGo

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
178   0
Reaction score
Ok so I built a Ar9 using a new frontier lower and new frontier side charging upper with hold open. It has about a 4.5 inch barrel with a griffin armament rev 45. Ive had it for almost a year. When i first built it, it would break bolt catches all the time. I put a heavier buffer and a spacer. I stoped having catches break or so I thought. I shot about a thousand rounds without a single issue until last week I had a catch break. So i replaced it and shot it for the first time today and it broke the catch within the first mag... So the question is what else can I try to stop breaking the catches. part of me is think about just putting a regular upper on it without the hold open.

I read this could be an issue with AR9mm when I built mine in 2008. Some put coins in the buffer tube to create a spacer or get a longer buffer now they make buffer spacer.

http://stores.9mmar.com/spikes-tactical-9mm-buffer-spacer/

https://newfrontierarmory.com/shop/blowback-buffer-spacer/

$7.99

upload_2017-3-11_22-56-30.png

I got a PSA upper with hybrid bolt and have 1.75 quarters in the back. Mine has a PSA 9mm buffer nothing special. Bolt travels like 1/4" beyond the catch. 500 through it no breakage yet nor malfunction. Soon to be suppressed. Hope mine holds up too. Think I'm gonna get a spikes buffer spacer thingy anyways

Agree with the above guys. If the buffer/tube length is off... it let's the boot get a running start at the latch.

Adjusting the cycle length via parts (or quarters) seems to help the troublesome guns.

Guess it depends on what you want to do with it.

If for gun games.. like PCC in uspsa, I'd say the hold open is not important.

If you're using in a defensive capability, I'd want it.

I have a spacer and quarters in it. The bolt can only go back just past the catch. I can get some pictures of it. Should I get a stronger spring? It's just weird that it worked perfect for so long and now it's just eating catches.

Back
Top Bottom