• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are any of you small game only hunters?

Now that deer season is just about done, I'm going to get out and do some rabbit and squirrel hunting. Never really got into the big game though. Am I nuts or does anyone else share the same sentiment? If so, please tell why.

I have zero interest in big game hunting. I'm not a hunting fanatic at all. I will occasionally go for squirrels, and I don't care whether I bag any or not. (And I'll trap some beaver this month and next to keep the creek from flooding my property.) It's mainly about the experience, the peaceful solitude, and practicing land navigation skills for my other pursuit. Without meaning to criticize anyone, I think (for me) it's more challenging to still hunt or stalk small game than to stand hunt. (I do realize that I can practically pet and hand-feed a dozen mature bucks during squirrel season, but they can't be found during deer season, LOL.) I've proven my theory by not seeing any squirrel and by missing all my shots. ;-)

That having been said, if the pandemic continues and depletes the supply of red meat, I'll plan on putting something in the freezer next year.

34C93A1B-232F-4FBE-B943-434C62B78EB0.jpeg
Do you hunt woodcock with a dog?
I was getting my harness and stuff together the other morning and counted 5 that flew over or walked out in the logging road as I got ready. I’ve been hearing them Peenting since mid-November.
Yeah. I have a DD that I hunt everything with. This is just her second season so she still has a lot of improving to do.

I’ve been coyote night hunting a couple of times and it’s so fun! And gets the adrenaline pumping once we can bring in a yote. Sadly never got one but shot a couple of em.

Back
Top Bottom