Are j-frames really useless?

Agreed.
I can only think of one reason a man would belittle another man over his defensive decisions.
Insecurity. LOL

I know a couple guys that if they were unarmed, I wouldn’t want anything less than a SW500. And then only if I was a few yards away from them.
Yep, I look at some of these monsters roaming the street and think ‘’If he attacked me, and I were lucky enough to live, I’d probably wake up in an emergency room with a bunch of doctors discussing the best way to remove an empty, slide-locked Kel-Tec P32 from my colon’’.

Yep, I look at some of these monsters roaming the street and think ‘’If he attacked me, and I were lucky enough to live, I’d probably wake up in an emergency room with a bunch of doctors discussing the best way to remove an empty, slide-locked Kel-Tec P32 from my colon’’.
The two guys I know/known looked pretty soft and non threatening.
I lived next to the top instructor for the Marines(retired) he kept himself in great shape but carried himself in a way that he wasn’t all that threatening either. You would never guess that any of those three were even a threat until it was too late. Well maybe the marine, but you would have to look twice. LOL

Agreed.
I can only think of one reason a man would belittle another man over his defensive decisions.
Insecurity. LOL

I know a couple guys that if they were unarmed, I wouldn’t want anything less than a SW500. And then only if I was a few yards away from them.
Yeah, critiquing j-frames in a thread based on the usefulness of j-frames could only stem from someone being insecure.

Like anything else, it's a system. It all has to be there to be effective. Firearm, ammo, and shooter. Lacking one of those, and you are much more likely to fail. You have to train. Period. You need proper ammo. You need a reliable and effective gun. Everything on the gun selection comes with a trade-off.

Still, no need to neuter your effectiveness just to make some point. J frames are not useless, but they are rarely ideal. Not a single person has made a single argument to challenge that. Sufficed is very different than ideal.

Not gonna lie, if I knew I was gonna be in a gunfight and be limited to a pistol, I’d choose my old Gubmint 1911.
That said, nothing fits my girly little hand like a round butt J-frame, and I shoot them very well. So they get the most carry, other than my ‘always’ P32.

I actually prefer the trigger pull of my j-frame and can shoot it just about as well as a 5.5 pound trigger. It doesTake some practice. My j-frame has never ever had a malfunction!

To me the J fame is easier to hide than than a boxy semi auto!
I can put my j frame on my hip and carry it all day and never give it much thought. Now when I strap a Boxy semi auto with 10+ rounds I find myself always adjusting because of the weight. ( I wear a Nexbelt)
So yes the weight of fewer rounds has made the J-frame a daily carry for me. I do carry 5 rounds strips in each front pocket!
I am not looking to be in a shoot out with the bad guys but I will defend my family no matter what.

I carry a j-frame sometimes in the summer because it’s small, light, and easy to conceal. Basically, I can be lazy. I’m most likely to have it on a road trip when there’s another firearm in the vehicle. We all do our own little risk assessments for ourselves.

In my experience, small revolvers can take a little more practice for someone to become proficient and they’re not always the most comfortable to shoot. But plenty of people shoot them well and figure they meet their requirements. Your mileage may vary.

Where did you do that research? The next step to that argument would be saying getting in a gun fight is also far outside the norm so if you need to carry a gun at all you’re already screwed.

Like I said earlier, j frames are far from useless and are a very viable option in some cases. Especially where deep concealment or you may potentially be shooting through clothing, etc. With that said, I’d be willing to bet most of you haven’t been in a gunfight with your j frame if you’re arguing there aren’t situations that a higher capacity option might be necessary or better.
Research from a multitude of sources, police reports news articles, talking with investigators.
You say the next argument is getting into a gun fight at all, I say then how many round is enough?
I been in 1 gun fight, my weapon was a ruger security six with a 2-3/4" barrel, it took 1 round.
If u read line 2 of my post, I said I'm not saying you might not need 7, 9 or 30.
How about that auto loader with 15+ round doesn't fire on the 1st shot. Let's say you have a glock. You don't have re-strike capability. Now you got to rack that slide under fire hoping you don't screw that up with a short stroke or worse yet have a stuck case, now your Hi capacity auto loader is a liability, now if you had a j frame and a bad round a fresh round is s trigger pull away. And just so you know I have a 7 shot auto in my right front pocket for a carry gun today.
This can be debated forever. The right answer is everyone needs to carry what they prefer and train, train, train. And then hope you never have to call on that trainings.

Research from a multitude of sources, police reports news articles, talking with investigators.
You say the next argument is getting into a gun fight at all, I say then how many round is enough?
I been in 1 gun fight, my weapon was a ruger security six with a 2-3/4" barrel, it took 1 round.
If u read line 2 of my post, I said I'm not saying you might not need 7, 9 or 30.
How about that auto loader with 15+ round doesn't fire on the 1st shot. Let's say you have a glock. You don't have re-strike capability. Now you got to rack that slide under fire hoping you don't screw that up with a short stroke or worse yet have a stuck case, now your Hi capacity auto loader is a liability, now if you had a j frame and a bad round a fresh round is s trigger pull away. And just so you know I have a 7 shot auto in my right front pocket for a carry gun today.
This can be debated forever. The right answer is everyone needs to carry what they prefer and train, train, train. And then hope you never have to call on that trainings.
No. The right answer is that there is always a trade-off. What are you comfortable with getting rid of for size or weight? 20 years ago, yeah, there were not many options. Nowadays, there are a lot of options for sub compact, compact and micro compact carry.

Oh, and that second strike mentality? You need to lose it. More often than not, a dud is a dud. Don't waste your time on the bad round. Get to your next in line. And train for the duds.

Back
Top Bottom