Are there any Toyota Master Techs in the house?

What does the owner's manual say about hot start conditions?

Some FI software will allow for a hot start when flooded, much like a carbed motor that is flooded. Hold throttle wide open on hot start, and it shuts off the injectors to clear the flooded condition. Heat soaking may cause the injectors to leak and flood the engine.

Too rich (flooded) or too lean, either way, no start. Just have to find out which condition you have.

So when it's hot does the starter turn the engine over as when cold but the engine won't fire ?

Or does the starter turn it over slowly or not at all ?

This is how it has always happened: Drive it & park it hot, wait 10 minutes, get back in and try to start it ... the engine turns over as it should, it fires up - then dies (feels like fuel starvation). Try to start it up again, it turns over but doesn't fire, and the starter continues to spin until you remove the key. This repeats a few times, then it starts. There is never any smoke from the tail pipe, and the check engine light does not come on.

Yes.

The issue materializes ONLY when air temperatures are close to 90, or above.
And ONLY after it been running, and parked HOT for a few minutes.
The first start-up on a HOT day is just like any other day - no problem.

I had a Knock sensor that would test good when cold, but when hot it would be bad.
This was on a Saturn, but a knock sensor is a knock sensor.
I could crank the car up cold and it would run for 10 mins. then cut off. I could wait an hour and it would crank again and run for 5 mins.
You could set your watch by it.
It drove me crazy trying to find the problem.

This is how it has always happened: Drive it & park it hot, wait 10 minutes, get back in and try to start it ... the engine turns over as it should, it fires up - then dies (feels like fuel starvation). Try to start it up again, it turns over but doesn't fire, and the starter continues to spin until you remove the key. This repeats a few times, then it starts. There is never any smoke from the tail pipe, and the check engine light does not come on.

Could be several things
That's kind of the way the ainitheft thing works
Some cars will crank, then die

Could be fuel pump not running
You gotta get a gauge on the fuel rail and see

Could be the computer but they don't fail very often
We had some issues with wifes VW and we bought a used computer and sent it off to a tuner to remove the anti theft software
The computer was $75 and the tune was$75
Which was a lot cheaper than $450 for a new programmed ignition key

Back
Top Bottom