• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Are these guys serious?

I can kind of get what they're saying, but making the blanket statement of never dropping the slide on an empty chamber is true fudd-lore.

Granted, I've heard that on the highly polished and tuned 1911's that WC produces, it can cause excess wear and tear and affect the crispness of the trigger that they are evidently famous for. I don't know this personally, so please inform me if this has been debunked as well.

Additionally, extra wear than what is expected is something we all like to avoid. Tuning an AR that's over gassed to keep your parts from needing replacement sooner is not uncommon.

HOWEVER, if a tool meant to be dependable in adverse conditions (which all pistols at this point in time should be) can be damaged from such comparatively minimal abuse as opposed to the small explosion it's meant to contain repeatedly, I don't know if it's all that great to begin with.

I've also heard the analogy of "you wouldn't treat a finely tuned sports car the same way you would a Honda Civic"

No, but if I had to choose one to do what I need a car to, that reliable civic is better suited for the job because it won't crap the bed just because I didn't put in premium gas or high-grade fancy oil in it.

I can kind of get what they're saying, but making the blanket statement of never dropping the slide on an empty chamber is true fudd-lore.

Granted, I've heard that on the highly polished and tuned 1911's that WC produces, it can cause excess wear and tear and affect the crispness of the trigger that they are evidently famous for. I don't know this personally, so please inform me if this has been debunked as well.

Additionally, extra wear than what is expected is something we all like to avoid. Tuning an AR that's over gassed to keep your parts from needing replacement sooner is not uncommon.

HOWEVER, if a tool meant to be dependable in adverse conditions (which all pistols at this point in time should be) can be damaged from such comparatively minimal abuse as opposed to the small explosion it's meant to contain repeatedly, I don't know if it's all that great to begin with.

I've also heard the analogy of "you wouldn't treat a finely tuned sports car the same way you would a Honda Civic"

No, but if I had to choose one to do what I need a car to, that reliable civic is better suited for the job because it won't crap the bed just because I didn't put in premium gas or high-grade fancy oil in it.
I have heard the same on the sear of the 1911. It's a wear part. I don't care. I'll replace as needed. Just like a recoil spring.

One could also say that you wouldn't treat your Honda Civic the same as a finely tuned sports car as well.

Back
Top Bottom