• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are you shooting the wrong target?

There's nothing wrong with training to shoot "center of mass."
If the bad guy's torso is fully exposed to you, aiming for the center of his trunk, halfway between his balls and his throat, isn't a bad plan. When you're under stress and in a hurry, it's more likely to result in a hit (somewhere on his body) that way. Aiming high on the chest is great IF your rounds hit there, but if you're high right or high left you can miss over the bad guy's shoulder.

If we could all be confident of our bullet placement, we'd all be training for head shots most of the time. They are by far the most reliable way to drop a bad guy in his tracks. And head shots aren't difficult on the PRACTICE RANGE, with no stress, if you have a decent gun, medium to full sized.
IN REAL LIFE GUNFIGHTS, it's different. Head shots are way more difficult to make than center-mass body shots.

This is what nearly all law enforcement pistol targets looked like from the 1930-1980s:
upload_2020-1-20_12-34-40.jpeg

This is what we've used in Georgia since the 1990s, I think.

upload_2020-1-20_12-35-12.jpeg

Both of them have the officers shooting more or less center of mass,
when the "mass" is limited to the torso of the body from the belt to the throat.
Although the newer POST QT qualification target does have its perfect
aiming point a few inches higher than the old B27 target.

This is what nearly all law enforcement pistol targets looked like from the 1930-1980s:
View attachment 2453343

This is what we've used in Georgia since the 1990s, I think.

View attachment 2453346

Both of them have the officers shooting more or less center of mass,
when the "mass" is limited to the torso of the body from the belt to the throat.
Although the newer POST QT qualification target does have its perfect
aiming point a few inches higher than the old B27 target.

The lower green Ga target is what I used for my officers for 15yrs. The Center large torso is the same size at 25 yrs as the small ones are at 3 perception wise..It is down to 30 rounds of which only 4 are shot center mass at the 25 yrd line. This is how they have to qualify every year with a score at 80 or above.

Back
Top Bottom