• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Argue for Mandated Training So As To Exercise a Basic Civil Right

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainpass

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
15   0
Reaction score
http://www.11alive.com/news/article/318415/40/College-gun-bill-likely-to-get-GA-legislature-priority

Although the Georgia Board of Regents forbids it, the folks who run the Georgia legislature would like to expand the rights of college students to carry guns on campus. They do so especially with an eye on urban campuses like Georgia Tech.

Its backers say it would reduce crime on and around college campuses.

"Those students should be able to defend themselves," said Jerry Henry, executive director of Georgia Carry. "And if you arm that group of students, criminals don't know who the ones who are over 21 and have a firearm license or not."

But many students are wary.

Video is not up yet.

Last edited:
I see good and bad.... Yes Mr.Bad Guy will not know who has a weapon... but Mr.Vitim may not know how to use weapon and hurt someone by mistake..... If the students are going to carry weapons, I hope they are forced/required to take proper gun safety......

So whats the difference between a 21 year old law abiding student and a 21 year old law abiding non-student? Georgia doesn't require training for people to get their permit and carry through a crowded mall, why would a college student be required to take a safety class to carry on campus?

Im 32 years old and Im back in college. I carry everywhere else so why should I have to go thru training to carry at school

I see good and bad.... Yes Mr.Bad Guy will not know who has a weapon... but Mr.Vitim may not know how to use weapon and hurt someone by mistake..... If the students are going to carry weapons, I hope they are forced/required to take proper gun safety......

Regardless of any perceived bad you may see... these students have the RIGHT to protect themselves, do they not?

Oh lord... the same could be said about whatever age group you are in.

Encourage, provide, promote education/training but never allow the government to mandate it in order to exercise any right as it then ceases to be one...

That is a precedent that should never be tolerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom