• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Arisaka type I

Dchance

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
43   0
Reaction score
Good morning fellow members. Looking for someone who might have some insight on this for me and knows more than I do. Would like for someone to look over it and make sure that it is safe to fire. Would also like to know an average value of the rifle. I have googled it but all information I keep finding is for the type 38 or 99.

Attachments

• 20230218_080851.jpg
    20230218_080851.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230218_080834.jpg
    20230218_080834.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230218_080758.jpg
    20230218_080758.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230218_080748.jpg
    20230218_080748.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230218_080741.jpg
    20230218_080741.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: A34
It's a type I carcano. Made by Italy for Japan. Chambered in 6.5 Jap. Carcano bolt and action with arisaka mauser style box magazine. Arisaka type sights and stock
Thanks for the info. Is the value in the bracket as most Arisakas in its shape/wear? And I am still looking for someone who can break it down and make sure everything is still within spec's. I think it would be neat to go and shoot it every now and then 😁😁😁.

Bore condition would be a big factor in value. The bolts on carcanos weren't serialized and I don't think they are on Type I's so matching serial numbers is not really a factor. As long as it's not a rust bucket it should be safe to shoot with whatever 6.5 jap ammo you can find

Bore condition would be a big factor in value. The bolts on carcanos weren't serialized and I don't think they are on Type I's so matching serial numbers is not really a factor. As long as it's not a rust bucket it should be safe to shoot with whatever 6.5 jap ammo you can find
I haven't taken it apart nor pulled the bolt from it. The only numbers or markings it has on it is the serial number on the left side approx. where the barrel and receiver meet. #. D 3657. Which I would think would be a low number in overall in my opinion. I would also assume that that would help add to some value. Overall there is no rust of any kind anywhere and all seems to function as should. I will run a bore light in it and see what the bore looks like.

These are excellent rifles. I've owned many. As stated, made by Italy for Japan...mostly for the Imperial Japanese Navy according to some sources. These are kind of a niche rifle, as a lot of people really don't know what they are. Virtually devoid of markings, they don't even sport the Imperial Chrysanthemum on the receiver.

These are excellent rifles. I've owned many. As stated, made by Italy for Japan...mostly for the Imperial Japanese Navy according to some sources. These are kind of a niche rifle, as a lot of people really don't know what they are. Virtually devoid of markings, they don't even sport the Imperial Chrysanthemum on the receiver.
Thanks for sharing the info. I would think that this model (Type I) would be worth more than the 38 or 99. Being made only for about a year and for just they Japanese navy. All other Arisakas have or had markings/symbols, unless it was filed off and these only had a serial number.
I cant wait to have some time to break it down and really do some cleaning and oiling. But really looking for someone close to me that could help out and make sure a few things are still within specs.

Back
Top Bottom