• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Arrow advise for a new bow hunter

81433AD

Default rank <1250 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
92   0
Reaction score
I've rifle hunted all my life and now have caught the archery bug. I've picked up a Hoyt Nitrum Turbo, 29" draw length and draw weight 65lb. I could really use some guidance on arrows and broadheads. What length arrow do I need? Do I have to buy arrows and cut them down? What do you prefer for deer hunting in GA? Thanks in advance.

Most shops can cut them for you but will want you to buy their arrows. You can cut them by hand with a file. Only problem I have found with that method is about 1/8 inch difference per arrow by the time i get a few done. You can get a very fast saw and do it as well.

Buy a good target and release.i cant stress these 2 enough. If you have a good release its like cutting butter. Smooth.
I think having a solid light weight target helps because its easier to move. Those pillow targets are fun to shoot at but they are heavy,rot,and attract insects.

Worry about the broadheads come bout the end of july. Just pay attention to the gr weight on practice tips

If you want to set your drawlength its your armspan divided by 2.5

Set draw weight to comfort, but you want to feel some serious resistance when you draw. Just enough

I shoot easton axis 340 with 65-68 lbs and 28 inch DL (I prefer a heavier arrow when I'm close to the edge of the parameter). There's no need to go super expensive on arrows, most will do the job fine. I prefer to go to an Archery Shop like Mitches Archery in Canton to purchase and have them measure/cut, glue inserts, and fletch with the exact color I want. There is an an Archery shop in woodstock that many really like, but the name escapes me. For broadheads, figure out if you want fixed or mechanicals, there's lots of options. I like the simplicity of fixed and shoot muzzy mx3 100 gr. Original Muzzys didn't fly like field points, stay away from them. I also recommend ArcheryTalk message board to get great info and thoughts on equipment. Good luck!

Make sure that whichever arrows you select, have the correct spine stiffness for the draw weight and arrow length you are shooting.

Brand of arrows doesn't matter so much, but I wouldn't advise buying any of the cheap arrows at Walmart. Most places will cut you arrows for you at time of purchase, but you will need to know what length you want them cut. Make sure you buy fletched arrows and not just shafts.

The length of arrows you need comes down to personal choice somewhat. Obviously, they will need to be long enough to extend past your rest at full draw. That would be the minimum length and the first thing you need to figure out. Beyond that, its up to you how long you want them. I shoot a 28.5" draw and my arrows, if i remember right, are cut to about 30.25". My arrows are cut that long because I want my broadhead to still be out past my bow hand at full draw.

I would suggest drawing your bow with a full length arrow to figure out exactly where you want the end of it to be and have someone mark it with a marker. Measure from mark that was made to the inside of the nock where it touches the string and you'll have figured out what length to cut all your arrows.

Only advice I would give on broadheads, don't buy anything from rage or rocket. Beyond that, its a matter of personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom