Votes: 8 22.2%
  • when you lose the ability to think properly

Votes: 25 69.4%
  • when you lose most of your memory

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • when you have to take 15+ pills in the morning

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters
If that was the case, may as well terminate everyone with autism or any severe mental disorder. Life is too precious, instead of complaining about the bad, enjoy the good. If your grandmother is too much, maybe its time to place her with someone qualified and experienced with treating her.

Damn Meat what a surprisng post.Well done

People tell me I need to quit smoking all the time.

Then I think about all of the Grand Parents / Parents I have seen slowly dwindle to an over-medicated, shadow of their former self - and I light another cig...

Heading to smoke another now - thanks for reminding me.

urinary tract infections also often cause dementia patients to hallucinate or become delusional and sometimes behaviors like biting, kicking, punching, clawing etc occur. UTIs are common in a nursing home setting when the patient/resident has badder/bowel incontinence due to the time it sometimes takes for staff to discover and change soiled briefs. Women especially can easily get E-coli and other bacteria introduced to the urethra while sitting in loose stool. When we get sudden "behaviors" spring up with someone, a UA is usually the first thing ordered...If that's not it, upping or lowering dosages or starting or stopping various meds may be in order.

I am a nurse currently working in a nursing home(going back to school in August). I see quite a bit of this. It is sad but more sad for the family than the patient. Dementia may actually be a blessing. As the brain atrophies/deteriorates, cognition goes with it. They become less and less worried about their own mortality, those they are leaving behind and their disease. While confusion and short term memory loss may seem very frustrating, it's not usually all their frustrating for them. It gets VERY frustrating for family and caregivers, especially for those that don't have prior experience observing the disease process. By the time death approaches, they usually have no idea what is going on and they pass on quietly and relatively peacefully. Think about it. Would you rather be sharp as a tack while laying there struggling for your last breath and know you are dying? Another thing I have noticed, is at some point in dementia, a lot of people revert back to some point in life decades ago. This is when they are often looking for someone who was probably around at the age they have reverted to. It's not unusual to have 90+ year old patients looking for Momma or Daddy. Children that died young are also often sought after while living children are often forgotten. Living children are often confused for passed spouses. This could be a timeline thing with regression. Perhaps a 45 year old son looks just like hubby did 45 years ago or whenever the regression landed. Behaviors like biting usually turn out to be some adverse effect of medication. Some of those meds will chill most people out but cause a few to go berserk. Halidol, Geodon, Seroquel, Ativan etc...very sedating for most...opposite effect with added unpredictable behaviors rarely but often enough for others!

So, the question that haunts me...Are they losing their mind, or are they finding their memories?

Thanks for writing this Rdkill, I had never really thought of it that way.

Horror stories.

I've always been told my great grand father walked out of a Pub in Sussex England slipped on some ice, hit his head and died. He was 99.

to me every second of life i worth it

my grandmother also suffered form alzheimers and lived with us till the end. one of the most heart-breaking things i will ever see first hand. that being said, i dont think going quietly into the night is an option we should choose for ourselves

I am a nurse currently working in a nursing home(going back to school in August). I see quite a bit of this. It is sad but more sad for the family than the patient. Dementia may actually be a blessing. As the brain atrophies/deteriorates, cognition goes with it. They become less and less worried about their own mortality, those they are leaving behind and their disease. While confusion and short term memory loss may seem very frustrating, it's not usually all their frustrating for them. It gets VERY frustrating for family and caregivers, especially for those that don't have prior experience observing the disease process. By the time death approaches, they usually have no idea what is going on and they pass on quietly and relatively peacefully. Think about it. Would you rather be sharp as a tack while laying there struggling for your last breath and know you are dying? Another thing I have noticed, is at some point in dementia, a lot of people revert back to some point in life decades ago. This is when they are often looking for someone who was probably around at the age they have reverted to. It's not unusual to have 90+ year old patients looking for Momma or Daddy. Children that died young are also often sought after while living children are often forgotten. Living children are often confused for passed spouses. This could be a timeline thing with regression. Perhaps a 45 year old son looks just like hubby did 45 years ago or whenever the regression landed. Behaviors like biting usually turn out to be some adverse effect of medication. Some of those meds will chill most people out but cause a few to go berserk. Halidol, Geodon, Seroquel, Ativan etc...very sedating for most...opposite effect with added unpredictable behaviors rarely but often enough for others!

So, the question that haunts me...Are they losing their mind, or are they finding their memories?

the way i understand it, is they receive information fine and when trying to form proper thought, speech, or actions the signals get crossed

to me its worse for the patient. being able to understand or be aware and not be able to express yourself as you once could. the old memories are leaking out and its a type of overload which causes the confusion

- - - Updated - - -

I hope i die before i get old.

whats old?

the way i understand it, is they receive information fine and when trying to form proper thought, speech, or actions the signals get crossed

to me its worse for the patient. being able to understand or be aware and not be able to express yourself as you once could. the old memories are leaking out and its a type of overload which causes the confusion

- - - Updated - - -

whats old?

That changes every day

I have a really close friend that was just diagnosed with a progressive dementia related to a traumatic brain injury several decades ago. In his 50's and deciding whether he wants to weather the coming storm. Hell of a thing, am watching my mother in the middle stages now. I will respect his decision no matter what it may be.

Back
Top Bottom