Availability of U.S. 30 Carbine?

I've got one that I've had for several years,would really like to know what I have.Anyone close to Cleveland that knows about these ??

Start a thread in Curios and Relics. Include serial number and high res clear photos of it.

Pics of all markings, as well.

I own one of those animals I am told. I purchased it from a collector and good friend about three years ago for over $2100. He had owned it for over 20 years so he said. It is a Standard Products receiver 2180XXX with a 1-44 Underwood barrel and all visible early parts. I have never fired it. At one time I started making a list of the individual parts and their manufacturer using Larry Ruth's book. I believe I still have the list on my computer in a Word file. I also have ammo as well as authentic mags, pouches, slings, muzzle covers and some sort of WWII Dept of the Army documents. Most likely when I pass into Glory, my daughters will take all of it to a local pawn shop, where I am certain they will receive a fair price for it. LOL. Thanks.
I have one too. I took to a collector/dealer at a show and I never thought I'd get it away from him (He's a good guy though, just wanted that carbine).

They are unusual when they haven't been monkeyed with or reworked at an arsenal.

I have one too. I took to a collector/dealer at a show and I never thought I'd get it away from him (He's a good guy though, just wanted that carbine).

They are unusual when they haven't been monkeyed with or reworked at an arsenal.

Made me laugh out loud about the dealer and his liking your carbine. Very true statement about not being an arsenal rebuild. Thanks.

As we start out 2018, what's the latest word on the availability of a real military-surplus (not commercial reproduction) U.S. Carbine, caliber .30, M1?

I have a friend who would like to own one, as has father had during WWII and really liked. My friend is only interested in a real military-contract produced version, not a commercial one, even if it's just a commercial receiver and the rest are real GI surplus parts.

But, he's not a collector or brand snob, so he doesn't care if the carbine is a mixed lot of parts from various government contractors, covering different periods. It doesn't have to be all authentic and period-correct as if it were freshly brought back from the jungles of the Pacific in 1945.

How many such guns are out there on the market?

Where are they likely to be sold, besides GunBroker and other national auction sites?

Have any of y'all recently seen any in pawn shops or gun stores in the Atlanta or North Georgia areas?

View attachment 1462557
i have picked up 2 in the last year, 1 from ODT ss# 28159 plainfield PRICE was less than 500.00, so doing rush just have cash ready . bill

I traded into a nice little commercial Universal M1 Carbine yesterday, it's not GI but it didn't cost me anywhere near a grand (or Garand, har har) and I won't hesitate to shoot it and enjoy it. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a USGI one in the future.

Tell your friend to buy now. They aren't getting any cheaper, and are fewer around as time passes.

Also, tell him to stay away from Blue Sky and other import marked guns.

I've read internet comments about how some of the imports are not good but i'm not sure about totally staying away from them. i have two that have the really small Alexandria mark on the underside of the barrel and both are amazing shhoters. They look good too....

My friend wants a real G.I. contract gun, including the receiver.
Even though I explained to him that Plainfield carbines were just mil-spec commercially-made receivers with all the rest real G.I. contract surplus parts. But, no Plainfields, and no Universals. No Iver Johnsons.

I don't see any problem with a re-imported carbine that had been sent by our government overseas to fight either WWII or some facet of the Cold War that followed, and decades later came home to the shooters and gun collectors of the U.S.A.

Back
Top Bottom