Bad news for those hoping on the ultra rare 1911a1s

GodBlessTheUSA

Army Icon Lifetime Supporter
I brought down the Iron Curtain
156   0
Reaction score
I took these photos at a local LE agency that was recently notified to send their Government 1911a1s to Anniston.

The good news is that means that the CMP will, hopefully, soon be selling 1911s.

The bad news for those wanting a mint condition Singer or Union Switch and Signal: they've probably ALL been parkerized.

This local constabulary had several Colts, two Remington Rands, and this US&S. Several of the Colts were mix-masters: 1911 slides on 1911a1 frames, with a various mix of hammers, slide stops, safeties, etc. None of the 1911s had double-diamond grips.

I offered to make one 1918 vintage Colt out of all the parts, but was told it probably wouldn't matter once they all got to Anniston.

IMG_4533.jpg
IMG_4534.jpg

But...but...but.....they said....they promised......we were supposed to be able to buy minty WWI era pistols that have been gingerly cared for as only the U.S. Army is known to do with equipment......for under $400. They said.....
upload_2017-6-30_18-21-12.jpeg

Well, they were going to "specials" like this for a $1,000 or "rack grades" for $900. Take your pick. If you really like abusing your wallets you can bid on the "good ones" which will be auctioned off.

Well, they were going to "specials" like this for a $1,000 or "rack grades" for $900. Take your pick. If you really like abusing your wallets you can bid on the "good ones" which will be auctioned off.

I wouldn't be surprised if they reblue some of the rarer ones and auction them as "CMP Certified" for major bucks. Kinda sad how it's become with them.

40-50 years ago they would have thrown all of these into barrels and you'd dig out and pick the one you want. They'll spend several years grouping all of these into special groups to maximize dollar amounts, and probably spend more money doing the organizing and refinishing/rebuilding than if they'd just sell them as-is.

If you look at the ‘program’ for the 1911’s as written and approved, it calls for the director of the CMP to receive and offer sale up to 10,000 units per annum for a ten year period. However, after the first year, the director is to make a report to the Secretary of the Army (or Defense, I cannot remember) on the success or any problems with the sale of the first 10,000 units. A decision to continue with the program will be made at that time.

It’s been very amusing (especially on some facebook groups) to watch all the people thinking they’re going to be buying some type of mint condition ‘war used’ 1911 for less than market price. I suspect you’d be better off securing a ‘free range’ correct 1911 for $1,000 - $1,800 now, or wait to see if the CMP sale depresses the market (unlikely). Quite frankly I think the price of the free range 1911s will rise when the CMP starts shipping their "specials."

I bet the really good ones won't see the light of day before they are carted off at bargain "employee pricing" by those in the CMP pipeline.

Back
Top Bottom