• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bakelite

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
Bakelite, sometimes called Baekelite, or polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride, was the first plastic made from synthetic components. It was developed by the Belgian-American chemist Leo Baekeland in Yonkers, NY in 1907.

The rust-colored steel-reinforced 7.62×39mm magazines weigh .24 kg (0.53 lb) empty and are often mistakenly identified as being made of Bakelite (a phenolic resin), but were actually fabricated from two-parts of AG-S4 molding compound (a glass-reinforced phenol-formaldehyde binder impregnated composite), assembled using an epoxy resin adhesive.

Was it ever used for anything other than mags and AK furniture? (maybe M14 handguards?)

*Never mind - I just googled it! Pretty cool.

Bakelite, sometimes called Baekelite, or polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride, was the first plastic made from synthetic components. It was developed by the Belgian-American chemist Leo Baekeland in Yonkers, NY in 1907.

The rust-colored steel-reinforced 7.62×39mm magazines weigh .24 kg (0.53 lb) empty and are often mistakenly identified as being made of Bakelite (a phenolic resin), but were actually fabricated from two-parts of AG-S4 molding compound (a glass-reinforced phenol-formaldehyde binder impregnated composite), assembled using an epoxy resin adhesive.
The only thing I know for sure about Bakelite is that it isn't compatible with paint stripper...oops.

The only thing I know about bakelite is that loading those type of mags is way easier on my fingers than loading surplus steel mags.

ak-47-bakelite.png

Bakelite and Catalin were quite commonly used in all sorts of industrial and household goods until petrochemical plastics were perfected. Collectible now in jewelery and radios, some flatware.

The description of "bakelite" mags seems closer to Catalin to me.

Back
Top Bottom