• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bay fishing at St. George

Saltwater will tear up freshwater equipment.

Penn battle is an outstanding reel for inshore fishing. Spoons and D.O.A. lures work for anything inshore. Shrimp is okay bait but fiddler crabs are hardy and work great.

Will be taking the family to St. George next week and have rented a house on the Bay side. Any tips for Bay fishing since we've never fished St. George? Best bait, reels, rods, other tackle, time, area, etc. Any tips greatly appreciated.

I use a Penn Slammer 260 with braid and a long mono leader for everything I fish for down there. Whatever you fish with be sure and rinse it off thoroghly with freshwater and leave in the sun to dry after you are done for the day. This includes your hooks, lures and swivels!

If you are going to SGI and have access to The Cut, try a chrome Rat-L-Trap where the water enters the gulf and on the beach side of the rocks. I can't tell you how many trout, ladyfish, reds and other things I've caught on a "bass plug" out there.

They're are some monster reds out there too though they are pretty finicky. On really calm days you can see them patrolling the rocks for snacks. Some of them look as long as the rocks. If you can catch some 3 or 4 inch pinfish try those. Just don't be surprised if you reel the pinfish in they've been bit in half! They're are lots of sharks at the cut too! Be careful of the rocks too. They can be a little difficult to navigate.

I take my son to the old bridge on the bay side and let him catch catfish, sharks, pinfish, etc. I've also caught trout from the bridge and have seen people catch reds and flounder too. Shrimp and cutbait will work. If you catch a pinfish, use it for bait. Just be sure you secure your rod and don't set the hook to early!

Best of luck. Wish I was going!

Headed down Tuesday and according to son, we'll be fishing Tuesday afternoon. It will be pleasant, even if we don't catch anything. I've been thinking it's time to invest in some saltwater equipment, but that's for another post. In the mean time, it'll have to be the regular rods and reels with washing and oiling each night. Hopefully they'll be something to report in a few days. Thanks for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom