• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Beating a dead horse......pocket pistols

I say P938, fits my pocket great, the Shield I carry IWB too big for my pockets, the Ruger's were traded off but they carry great. The rest I don't know anything about. I hear good things about the Kahr's just never owned one.

Oh the dilemma of having too many choices when it comes to a small carry pistol. I am in the market for a small "pocket" pistol. I can't make up my mind which one to get. Price is not an issue.

In order from best to worst:

Kahr PM9. I like the look and feel of these. I've had a CW9 and it was pretty good. I just dislike the fact that when you insert a new magazine you just can't pull the slide back and it goes all the way forward. It locks back and you have to release it...that is retarded to me.

I wouldn't neccessary "pocket" carry these but IWB would be the majority of how i would carry it.
Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

If this is your only complaint, then reconsider it. With a round in the magazine, pulling the slide fully to the rear, release it and it should pick up the round and slam into lockup. No further action is required if the magazine is good and the slide release is properly assembled.

Of the pistols you narrowed down with your complaints the Kahr CM9 should serve you well. I has sights that are really too good for such a small gun, it has no safety (IMO this is a good thing), the polymer frame absorbs some recoil and is very light weight (easier to carry), the stainless steel slide is low maintenance, the trigger is quite good-compare it with a smooth revolver trigger and one can appreciate the consistent smooth arc with a crisp sear break. CW magazines can be used as spares. Out of the box it needs nothing but a bit of range time. The feed ramp is off-set to lower the bore axis-which reduces muzzle rise/flip and aids controllability.

I keep hearing "oh I won't buy a gun that needs to be shot to work". Well Kahr sets some really tight tolerances and yes it may take a few magazines to smooth out. These tight tolerances translates in accuracy. The accuracy obtained out of these little pistols is very impressive for the size and cost (CM/CW series). I won't fully trust a carry gun that doesn't have a few boxes of ammo through it and those that would are foolhardy. In general, the smaller the gun (do more with less), the more the chance it may choke on the first magazine or two. I have 3 Kahr pistols and if I'm out or about chances are you will find it on me if pressed.

Kahr set the bar for micro-carry, quality pistols in robust calibers that have been sought out by professionals since their inception. The CM is about as good as you can get with great value. That said if Ruger cleaned up their 9mm some it may be an option to consider within your requirements. I really don't like Ruger's take down pin, with good sights and if (big if) is as accurate as the Kahr and handles as well then it may offer more value.

I mention the CM9 rather than the PM9 due to cost and conventional rifling (I shoot lead cast). However the PM9 with the polygonal rifling and milled front sight are upgrades that one may desire. The milled sight is sturdier than the Glock style press on the CM/CW series and offers more sight options as well.

Last edited:
I never understood the balk at a Kahr needing some rounds thru it before it is reliable, or the manual assertion that one must chamber a round by releasing the slide stop.

Are you going to carry a firearm you haven't proven to yourself is reliable or with ammo you haven't proven the firearm likes?

Never held a Kahr that wont "slingshot" after it is broken in, in fact most I have held will do so right out of the box, of course the manual says different, but then my Ruger manual says using reloaded ammo voids the warranty and I shoot reloaded ammo...

To each their own but when I walk out the door more often than not I will have a Kahr handgun on me.

I don't know if it's been covered in other posts, but what kind of pants do you wear? IMHO it matters a lot. I wear a lot of dress pants, and about all I can fit without it being obvious are the true pocket pistols. J-frame smiths, Sig P238, etc. are all too big. When I carry it's a NAA Guardian (Seecamp clone) in .32 or a Beretta 21a.

My main two choices I'm leaning towards now are the Kahr PM9 and the Sig P938. I usually just wear jeans or shorts. Only dress up for church on Sunday's and weddings.

Jeans can be iffy for larger pistols, too, depending on how they're cut. It's not even the pocket itself - I can often conceal a larger pistol in jeans, but can't access them quickly because how the top of the pocket is constructed.

The PM9 looks like it has less to snag things in your pocket.

Back
Top Bottom