• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info
No running.
I have been a Georgia Post Certified Firearms Instructor for 14 years..I have trained 15 different departments in all their certifications annual and special..I was asked to help train several different scout groups. They wanted me to be certified by the NRA..I checked and was told I have to go through the same training and pay the same amount..For that reason and only that reason I will not..I have more training and hrs for certification than most of them...But that is NRA's rules, so be it.

I have been a Georgia Post Certified Firearms Instructor for 14 years..I have trained 15 different departments in all their certifications annual and special..I was asked to help train several different scout groups. They wanted me to be certified by the NRA..I checked and was told I have to go through the same training and pay the same amount..For that reason and only that reason I will not..I have more training and hrs for certification than most of them...But that is NRA's rules, so be it.

Who did you call and ask? I know it wasn’t the NRA directly. Training Counselors and Instructors are induvial business's the NRA does not control the cost of the classes. For many Training Counselors and instructors this is how we feed our family and keep a roof over our heads. As to having to take the training, you said it it's the NRA's Rules, so be it. I have had Army Rangers, Swat guys, Professional Trainers come here they never complained about being to skilled or trained to take a course. Most have said that they learned a lot of what they forgot over the years. I tell my instructor candidates if you are an instructor and you feel like you have nothing to learn then you should hang up your hat and find something else to do.

I am sorry to hear that getting the required training and having to pay for it to get the certs kept you from helping the scouts. I know most of us have trained many people who were doing this for the scouts for free or at a heavily discounted rate that's why it surprises me.

I agree that many NRA instructors have limited training at one point they did not even have to take the student class. That’s why I have always said to people looking to get training vet your instructor. I know most of us who Train & Certify instructors have offered major discounts in the past to Law Enforcement with active credentials.

If a cardiologist, a practicing M.D., needs to get “certified” in first aid and CPR, do they have to take the Red Cross’ class or the American Heart Association class—one or the other ?

I would assume so, as stupid and pointless as that is.

And telling the M.D. that he should pay the $$ and take the class because (1) he needs to help CPR instructors earn a living, and (2) he might learn a thing or two...

... doesn’t cut it, in my opinion. Not even close.

The only justification is simply bureaucracy... rules are rules, and they make ‘em One Size Fits All.

If a cardiologist, a practicing M.D., needs to get “certified” in first aid and CPR, do they have to take the Red Cross’ class or the American Heart Association class—one or the other ?

I would assume so, as stupid and pointless as that is.

And telling the M.D. that he should pay the $$ and take the class because (1) he needs to help CPR instructors earn a living, and (2) he might learn a thing or two...

... doesn’t cut it, in my opinion. Not even close.

The only justification is simply bureaucracy... rules are rules, and they make ‘em One Size Fits All.

So because of a persons background they should be exempt from the training and the cost. So the cost and time should be at the expense of the other person giving the training? Am I understanding your argument correctly?

Who did you call and ask? I know it wasn’t the NRA directly. Training Counselors and Instructors are induvial business's the NRA does not control the cost of the classes. For many Training Counselors and instructors this is how we feed our family and keep a roof over our heads. As to having to take the training, you said it it's the NRA's Rules, so be it. I have had Army Rangers, Swat guys, Professional Trainers come here they never complained about being to skilled or trained to take a course. Most have said that they learned a lot of what they forgot over the years. I tell my instructor candidates if you are an instructor and you feel like you have nothing to learn then you should hang up your hat and find something else to do.

I am sorry to hear that getting the required training and having to pay for it to get the certs kept you from helping the scouts. I know most of us have trained many people who were doing this for the scouts for free or at a heavily discounted rate that's why it surprises me.

I agree that many NRA instructors have limited training at one point they did not even have to take the student class. That’s why I have always said to people looking to get training vet your instructor. I know most of us who Train & Certify instructors have offered major discounts in the past to Law Enforcement with active credentials.

I have no problem with discounts from manufactures, at the NRA convention in Charlotte I had them chasing me with their business cards, about products they wanted me to try at my range and give a report. I asked several NRA instructors over the years and always received the same answer as far as the course and cost for instructors certification

Back
Top Bottom