Beretta 92 weld?

ot

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
3   0
Reaction score
Alright I goofed up and put a hole (about 3/8" wide) in the backstrap of my Beretta 92FS.

I thought I could dremel the backstrap straight to have a better grip but went to deep!:grey:

I already tried to braze solder the hole but it comes off while reshaping it with hand filing and I don't think comes out solid anyways.

Its an aluminum alloy blued 92FS Italian made.

Anyone know a gunsmith on the south of Atlanta that TIG welds aluminum or know of a better fix?

I'll post a pic after Thanksgiving when I can get my camera.

Better off stripping the frame and taking it to a machine shop. You can radius the lines back in with a tri file and clean up the inside of the magwell pretty easy. If I could get outside I would help you out for free. I am bedridden for another three weeks

Thanks $nipertime, hope you're well soon.

I think there must be a gunsmith with a TIG welder around that can fill this backstrap. I'mt hoping I didn't warp anything using a torch to try and braze it earlier. This Beretta has history for me, that's why I tried to customize it rather than just sell/trade it for something with a better grip for my hands (big palms, short fingers)

Without looking at it first: I would say that I would try filling it with heat resistant JB Weld or a similar epoxy. Then reshape it, and follow up with a powder coating of the frame. It is going to be pretty expensive to do a tig welded repair.

If you can find a guy that will do it, the tig welding would be a better way to go.

You might check with Grays Guns. Operated by Bruce Gray. His gunsmiths have done some stuff like this on 1911s and Sigs.

It may be cheaper to buy a used Beretta. Maybe, you can find a 40 cal, and use your slide to create a dual caliber gun.

I just noticed you are not too far from the AR Bunker in Newnan. One of their guys is an expert machinist. He is typically off on Thursdays. If you can show it to him he can at least tell you what it would take to weld it. I do not think that he would fix it, but he could give some good advice.

The alloy frame and any heat treating required are the complicating issues associated.

Thanks $nipertime, hope you're well soon.

I think there must be a gunsmith with a TIG welder around that can fill this backstrap. I'mt hoping I didn't warp anything using a torch to try and braze it earlier. This Beretta has history for me, that's why I tried to customize it rather than just sell/trade it for something with a better grip for my hands (big palms, short fingers)
files.coloribus.com_files_adsarchive_part_1064_10640355_burger_king_tiny_hands_600_99985.jpg

Back
Top Bottom