• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beretta model 70

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
An elderly neighbor owns a Beretta model 70s in .380 caliber. This is a small, but rather hefty all-steel framed pistol with an empty weight of 23.8 oz, and loaded weight (7+ 1 capacity) of even more. The barrel is 3.5" and the sights are small and fixed.

I got to shoot this gun a few years ago, and again this past weekend.

We only used it with FMJ round-nose ammo, and it was 100% reliable with that.

It shot tight groups right to the point of aim.

The action is single-action only, and it's got a nice reasonably light trigger pull. Better than many other compact defensive pistols.

The grips are plastic, and intended for right-handed users, with a big thumb rest / thumb shelf on the left side grip panel.

Despite the elderly owner of this gun holding it with an awkward-looking grip with his forearm at least 30 degrees of angle to the side and not straight behind the gun to minimize the movement backward under recoil, THE HANDGUN CYCLED JUST FINE. No jams due to limp-wristing (failing to hold the frame steady so the slide moves, not the frame and slide moving together).

Bottom line: I like this gun for home defense or vehicle carry / glove box carry. It could be a reasonable choice for on-body carry only for people who are recoil shy and who need a pistol that weighs nearly 2 pounds (when loaded) to dampen the recoil of the .380 rounds. For myself, I'd prefer a lighter gun if I'm going to be shooting .380 caliber, or I'd prefer a 9mm with a 10-13 round capacity if I'm going to be packing a pistol that weighs that much.

PS: This gun, probably dating to the late 1970s or early 1980s, was nicely finished and felt like a quality product, well-made.

Pics.

Note the location of the magazine release button.

It's a flush-fitting button on the back lower quadrant of the right grip panel.

85D6C1EB-49B3-4893-AFA3-77726D32D104.jpeg
206198A2-C275-44E0-91B1-78601D22EC59.jpeg
C31A3233-CCE2-4F99-84E0-18E61E0443B6.jpeg

Quality pistols to say the least. I had a .22 that was so much fun to shoot, wish I hadn't given it to my ex. Cheers. A

Back
Top Bottom