• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Berry's hollow points?

Yep they are just range HP not SD

Yes indeed! you need to throughly check out any projectiles design objective!
just because its a hollow point doens't mean its a seflf defense projectile.
Berrys, Raniers, Zero, are plinker /target designed projectiles. the theory is by moving mass to the rear of the projectile it makes the projectile more accurate, iE -Moving mass- removing weight from the front tip by coring it out or removing it.
I shot some either berrys or raniers 115 grain HP out of one of my 38 supers at near 1300 FPS and they didn't expand after going through quite a few milk jugs filled with water, actually the hollow point cavity calapsed a bit, they were deformed a bit but certainly not expansion.

i loaded some berrys plated 44 hollow point bullets recently. 44 mag that is.i started with min psi and had good results.BUT,i had six rounds loaded to max psi.one grenaded right in front of the paper target! was a cool shotgun effect but not safe im sure lol.i think they are bet suited for low psi target rounds.

i loaded some berrys plated 44 hollow point bullets recently. 44 mag that is.i started with min psi and had good results.BUT,i had six rounds loaded to max psi.one grenaded right in front of the paper target! was a cool shotgun effect but not safe im sure lol.i think they are bet suited for low psi target rounds.

- - - Updated - - -

oops! posted twice.my bad

as others said there are the older Berry's HP design that is like the bottom photo that's marginal for any type of SD situation. the newest HP that they have been advertising for a while (but not actually shipping) is much nicer and looks more like the traditional HP design. That one looks much better but I've not seen them for sale yet.

For an actual carry round, hard to beat buying a box of Hornady defensive rounds, but it's also nice to have a can of 1k HP's around just in case. :)

I've been using Nosler JHP in bulk packs (250ct) for years, (in .40/10 mm) in 135 grains. Good accuracy and expansion/weight retention when fired in wet phone books.
I will test Hornady's HAP bullets when I get them (in 9mm, 125 grains). Very similar to XTP in construction, but much cheaper, available in 500ct boxes.

Back
Top Bottom