Best .22lr round for self defense?

True story
Fort Bragg NC , 1982 inside a bikers bar, I watch a Biker get shot in the forehead with a 22lr at near point blank range. Bullet travel on the outside of the guys skull,under the skin, never penetrated the skull is the brain. He proceeded to beat the guy who shot him to a pulp, walked up to the bar told the bartender to call an ambulance well because he had been shot and ordered a beer !

That’s why I don’t carry a 22lr for SD, but a 22 lr is better than nothing

I can tell you first hand the exact opposite.. Been in the ER and OR for 33 years... .22 LR usually penetrate the cranium.. Immediately fragment, then proceed to lose energy and scramble the brain as they spin around because they can't exit...All because no one thinks they are deadly... We have pronounced more patients dead or brain dead than any other caliber combined...

No, it's not. Good shot placement is necessary, but has to be combined with a sufficient weapon to do the job. In self defense, that job is to stop an attack as quickly as possible and a 22lr sucks at that.
All pistols are pitiful popguns. Let's move on past the silly caliber debate. Don't want to carry a .22 then don't do it. There are lots of folks who successfully defend themselves with .22's every year, regardless of what some curmudgeon on the internet says. ;)

Now someone brings up .22 magnum, totally different world than .22lr. Things are a lot different when the other guy is shooting back. Some people here may be Billy the Kid so to speak, but how many of us have actually been shot at. Things change when you are getting shot at. I personally have not. Targets don't shoot back, but bad guys do.
And what difference will the caliber you're using make? If you can't shoot under stress you can't do it. Upping the caliber to make up for an inability to shoot well under stress is not the answer.

True story
Fort Bragg NC , 1982 inside a bikers bar, I watch a Biker get shot in the forehead with a 22lr at near point blank range. Bullet travel on the outside of the guys skull,under the skin, never penetrated the skull is the brain. He proceeded to beat the guy who shot him to a pulp, walked up to the bar told the bartender to call an ambulance well because he had been shot and ordered a beer !

That’s why I don’t carry a 22lr for SD, but a 22 lr is better than nothing
True story, a cop in Jacksonville FL got shot in the head with a .45 and continued to shoot the bad guy with his .40. Pistol calibers suck for killing people.

And what difference will the caliber you're using make? If you can't shoot under stress you can't do it. Upping the caliber to make up for an inability to shoot well under stress is not the answer.

Completely disagree.. It make them move faster, but after shot number 3 of anything they are not waiting around....

All pistols are pitiful popguns. Let's move on past the silly caliber debate. Don't want to carry a .22 then don't do it. There are lots of folks who successfully defend themselves with .22's every year, regardless of what some curmudgeon on the internet says. ;)
So your advice when realizing that all pistols are poor man stoppers is to choose the poorest of them all?

BTW, there have been lots of people that have successfully defended themselves with sharp sticks, too.

Back
Top Bottom