• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best caliber for prairie dogs inside of 400 yds.

Prairie dog killing machine

• .17hmr

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • .22-250

Votes: 48 72.7%
  • .22 Hornet

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Tacos

Votes: 9 13.6%

• Total voters
'54r.....yellw tip.

image.jpeg

-or-

7n1
:hail:

image.jpeg

I tagged out early and had some ammo to spend or carry so I threw so 270 at dog town. At 250-450 yds it takes them apart and will yank them right out of the hole. More than you need for sure but not explosive, no pink mist effect.

You missed the obvious! I use a .223 with v-max reloads ar platform with bull barrels ( as does my shooting partner). We also top them with Burris Eliminator scopes - all of them. Why? Cheap shooting, explosive results and very near 95% hit rate out to 400 yards. Between the two of us, we shoot about 3500 rounds over three days each year. Have been doing so for about 8 years now and have used nearly everything from .17 to .50 BMG including .338 Lapua. "No brag, just fact."

Attachments

• Tattoo 008 (3).jpg
    Tattoo 008 (3).jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 8
No doubt that will work but I want to leave a 3 feet deep crater at the impact site.
The beauty of the 6.5 is that it is very versatile. Load game specific. A light varmint load doing less than Mach 1 will do the job w/o melting earth on impact. If you don't develop loads, find a buddy that does. There is a certain sence of satisfaction in making a job specific round and utilizing it with great efficiency. Taking your shooting sport to the next level.
Semper fi

I like a .223 for dogs. It would definitely be my choice inside 400 yards. That said I have only been once. I used handholds with RL15 and 75 Hornady AMAX projectiles.

Back
Top Bottom