• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best fly reel for the money

gibbscmc

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
Guys and Gals,

I am in the market for a new fly reel, and wanted some opinions as to what is the best bang for my buck. I have been told time and time again by some that to invest in a rod, (which I have done), that a reel is just a line holder. I would like to keep it around a $100 or less for this reel. Please give me your opinions on such reels as Okuma, Ross, Scientific Angler.. etc..

Thanks,
S

A reel isn't just a line holder. Folks that say that don't fish much and typically don't take care of their equipment (just my opinion and experience). The best $100.00 reel I've used is an Echo Ion. The drag is super smooth and it's a tough reel. I've fished them in salt and fresh water, with sand and mud on them, in single digit temps, and they are just plain reliable. I use them on all of my guide equipment and on a bunch of my rods.
There are other reels that can/would do the trick but of all the $100.00 reels I've tried I keep going back to the Ion.
Customer service at Echo is freaking awesome too.

i have an orvis battenkill reel that works great bought it used with two spools and case for like 85 just been fly fishing a short time started last season

man I paid $200 for my Temple Fork Outfitter Rod and Reel, wouldn't trade it for anything... caught a nice 5 - 6 lb rainbow on it a few weeks back (posted a pic in the fishing section under the title Thought I would Share)

I got a complete orvis setup 3 rods 7ft, 8ft, and a 9ft, set of large waders size 10 boots, 2 orvis battenkill reels and plenty of flies,line, and other accessories. Don't fish anymore,, if your interested call me 770-845-3866 Chris

Back
Top Bottom