Best Guitarist You Ever Saw in Person

Greats that I've seen: Eddie Van Halen, Eric Clapton, Angus Young, George Thorogood, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Dickey Betts, Warren Haynes, Alex Skolnick, Dave Mustaine, John Sikes, Billy Gibbons, Peter Frampton, Ace Frehley, Mick Mars, Mike Ness. .....I know I'm forgetting somebody........I'll always regret missing Stevie Ray Vaughn............and I can't believe that I didn't lay down the cash to see Joe Bonnamassa at the Fabulous Fox! --- Dang, I forgot Pete Townsend.

Last edited:
Rose Hill IS one of the prettiest places in Macon, I agree. I have been all over the Confederate Cemetery and that is the only one I've ever been to that would have the word "Conscript" under the person's name on the tombstone. The battle of Griswoldville happened so fast that the regular army went into town and started drafting, or "conscripting" any male that could fight. They didn't even have time to assign them to a unit.

My apologies to the OP for getting a little off subject. I could talk about Macon and Duane Allman for days.

I yield the floor.
Yeah, thanks man. I can dig it for real.It is a little off topic. But it's still strange to me that for just a short while in the early 70s it was all about Macon, Ga. A lot of folks don't realize that Duane and Gregg are really from Daytona. So they weren't homegrown. But it all happened for them and went bad for them in Macon. And I don't need to get into the Little Richard and the Wet Willy. For a short intense time Macon was it on the music scene. The guys from Skynyrd later acknowledged that they never would have gotten into it if not for the AB. And my favorite band of all time is Motorhead. I have the movie/documentary about Lemmy,the lead singer. He told Dave Grohl and a few other guys that one of his earliest musical influences was Little Richard. No matter what his orientation may be Little Richard could bring down the house as good as any in his day.
And I don't even have to get into Otis Redding. "I've Been Loving You Too Long". That was way better than "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay".
It's funny that it was Macon for a little while and then in the 80s it was Athens for a little while. Folks may laugh at Southern folks.But for a good while in the 80s EVERY altenative band wanted to be REM. I don't like their political views but their early work was very good.

July Jam Memphis 1973 or 74. Cant remember everyone but FogHat then Eric Clapton followed by Lynyrd Skynyrd (pre plane crash). It was 100 degrees but nobody cared when 3 stratocasters were wailing away Freebird.

Jimi Hendrix at Atlanta

Which time did you see Hendrix in Atlanta? At the old Municipal Auditorium or at the Byron Pop Festival? I think he only came to Ga twice and I know Byron isn't Atlanta, but it was called the Second Atlanta Pop Festival.

He was PI$$ED OFF the night at the Municipal Auditorium. He even flipped off the crowd.

Back
Top Bottom