• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best place for value of vintage CB gear (base, amp, power mic, etc..)?

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
OK... I guess if I haven't used this stuff in the last... well.... forever... I never will.
I still have the above from when I was into it, as a kid. I haven't been a kid for... a while.
  1. Cobra 142 GTL (base station with SSB, no box... I don't think)
  2. Turner Expander 500 (base station power mic, box in rough shape)
  3. Palomar 90a (linear amp with built in pre-amp) (no box... I don't think)
  4. Realistic TRC-180 handheld (2 watt, 3 channel, I'll have to check crystals to see which channels).
  5. Mura model CBM-20 (SWR/FS meter, box and manual)
  6. Royce electronics Model 2-100 (FS & SWR meter, box and manual)
  7. k40 magnetic mount whip
The radio is stock.
The mic has the original receipt from the guy who first bought it in 1978 (I bought it second hand very shortly thereafter) in the box and says it was repinned to a 4 pin connector. I have no idea what that means as the connector is a 5 pin (as is the radio). I believe it is an original 6 wired setup (that presumably makes sense to some of you). I also have the stock handheld mic for the radio.
The amp's output depends on the input. If memory serves (again it's been a LONG time) with that radio the output was between 100 & 200 watts. Apparently it was modded so the 10 meter setting is for 11 meter.
All items are in excellent cosmetic shape and work fine as far as I can tell. I don't have an external antennae to hook up to and I'm not about to run that amp through the small indoor test antennae I have.

I can't figure out what this stuff is really worth (particularly the mic and amp) from surfing or where the best place to find real prices might be. My goal is to fund an AR and I can't tell how realistic that is. If it's not, I'll just continue to look at this stuff I guess. ;) Thanks for any help pointing me in the right direction!

That's my problem... I don't have that guess. :)
Surely there's a place, like this one, but for CB/Ham folks here I can find a reasonable value. :noidea:
I'll keep hunting.
Hard to value that stuff. It's worth what you can get out of it, but it's pretty old and chances are, the capacitors are bad, so it will need to be sold as is. I've had good luck on eBay, setting a starting price at $9.99 for most items and letting the bid wars start. You may not get what you want out of everything, but you might be surprised at what individual items will bring.

Good luck!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

but it's pretty old and chances are, the capacitors are bad, so it will need to be sold as is.
How would I know? Everything appears to work. Radio transmits and receives fine (with small inside direct mount antennae). Like I said, not going to key that amp. I'll be happy to sell locally with a very short guarantee. My only issue with eBay is I can't overstate how much I hate shipping stuff, particularly anything fragile. But yeah, if I have to go that route, it's definitely "as is". I think UPS runs over my packages for sport.

How would I know? Everything appears to work. Radio transmits and receives fine (with small inside direct mount antennae). Like I said, not going to key that amp. I'll be happy to sell locally with a very short guarantee. My only issue with eBay is I can't overstate how much I hate shipping stuff, particularly anything fragile. But yeah, if I have to go that route, it's definitely "as is". I think UPS runs over my packages for sport.
That's why I'd advertise "as is". I only ship USPS (flat rate Priority Mail box) when possible, and I've never had anything damaged. I sold 2 home Ham radio amps that I never had to ship. One I sold on QRZ.com and a guy from Riverdale called and arranged to pick it up. The other was a 100# homebuilt monstrosity that I advertised on Craigslist and a guy from Commerce drove down and picked it up.

I generally hate eBay, but for stuff like this, you'll get the widest audience and perhaps sell it for more than you ever could locally.

I always figure out what size flat-rate box an item will fit in and charge a flat-rate shipping fee, domestic only.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom