• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best reloader for the money?

I have a Co-Ax and a Rock Chucker and love both. I get better cocentricity with the Co-Ax if I use Forster dies.

Check out the RCBS Summit. It works differently but apparently has outstanding accuracy.

Here is a great video from Ultimate Reloader

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Where do y'all seek used equipment for reloading?
Go on ebay, do a search on Rock Chucker and sort for lowest price plus shipping and "buy it now" option. The ones that are cosmetically challenged are usually the cheapest, nothing that a can of spray paint can't solve.

If buying Dillon online just go new as used prices are about 90% of new and you don't know which components may be missing. These are best bought used FTF from someone getting out of reloading since they usually come as a package with extra toolheads and components.

Go on ebay, do a search on Rock Chucker and sort for lowest price plus shipping and "buy it now" option. The ones that are cosmetically challenged are usually the cheapest, nothing that a can of spray paint can't solve.

If buying Dillon online just go new as used prices are about 90% of new and you don't know which components may be missing. These are best bought used FTF from someone getting out of reloading since they usually come as a package with extra toolheads and components.
This^^^^^^. My first Dillon is an ancient RL-1050 that came with multiple tool heads, extras, etc. It's been temperamental at times and needs tweaking every now and then, but Dillon has been good about replacing some things I needed and I put in an upgrade or two from third party suppliers. When it hums I can get the loading I want (usually mid-range target or some major/minor power factor that I need for something) at about 900 - 1,000 rounds per hour. I use a 650 now for some stuff since it's a little faster, in my opinion. I used two Rock Chucker Supreme kits set up side by side for almost 30 years before drinking the blue Koolaid. Learning fundamentals on a single stage before using a progressive is not a bad idea if you have time to spend doing so.

first find someone to show you how to reload. that way you can see and try before you buy. when i started in the 70's i started with a single stage press. in the 80's i move up to a dillon 550. still have and use the single stage press for rifle rounds.

I posted this a while back in the steals & deals
Frankford Arsenal M-Press (you don't need any special bushings when using Lee dies)

Being new to reloading a single stage is a great idea.. Both money saved and a learning experience. Seeing the cartridges you're looking to reload this would make some great ones for you.

Price is the same once again! $181.60 to your door

Also I'd recommend Lyman's Hand operated turret options
Lyman All American 8
They offer it as a kit or just the press. With a hand turret press especially the 8 you could have two calibers setup at once.

This is Lyman's Older T-Mag II 7-Hole Turret
View attachment 2643022
This was my setup about 7 months ago, I have since added another Chargemaster 1500 for faster rifle powder drops.. I still use a RCBS Rock Chucker IV for rifle brass & bullet sizing, and primer pocket swaging to save from stress on the turret, not that it can't handle it :) I also like to keep my two turret heads setup for loading and do all the processing in batches. You can put a bullet drop on the hand turrets that you wouldn't be able to with a Lee while using the auto index feature. I can crank out 250+ pistol rounds an hour with sized and primed brass.

I have a lee turret that I could sell. 4 Turrets, New manual & auto-index rod, Case kicker, and Extra New safety primes.. I'm taking the Lee single stage and mounting it upside on another bench for bullet sizing and gas check making.. I have 3k lbs of pure lead & wheel weights :) I'm just now getting into casting.
View attachment 2643028

Just some food for thought.. There's a lot of options and it all depends how much money you want to spend, how serious you are, and honestly how much time & space you have.. Not just now, but down the road. I've noticed a lot of people get into it, don't have time, and then the stuff ends up in the way and it gets sold for a loss.

Best of luck on finding the right one for yourself.

I appreciate all the replies! I think the Dillon 650/750 is a little out of my budget. At least new. I like the idea of a turret or progressive to grow into at a later date.

What is a good budget to get started? I know there are always better tools, I don’t mind upgrading some tools but some of the kits that come with everything normally come with bottom end tools that could use replacing as soon as you get it. I hate to waste the money
Rcbs has some of the best customer service of any company I have ever delt with.

Back
Top Bottom