• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best source for bullets

a__l__a__n

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
33   0
Reaction score
I've been reloading 38 special rounds for range use with standard cast lead 158 gr SWC from rimrockbullets.net.

http://www.rimrockbullets.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=147

At $33 per 500, that's $0.06 per bullet. But with shipping, it comes near $50 which is $0.10 per bullet.

Now, to load 357 magnum rounds in medium to full strength, I am getting the impression that I need something different to avoid excessive leading of the barrel -- either hard cast, gas checked, or jacketed. The rim rock gas checked version of that bullet runs $18.50 per hundred, or $0.185 per bullet, plus shipping -- which puts it in the ballpark of $0.22 or more per bullet. Their hard cast runs $59.95 per 500 bullets, or $0.12 per bullet -- or around $0.16 per bullet with shipping.

I see that cheaperthandirt.com has Winchester jacketed hollow points (125 gr) for $13.33 per hundred, plus shipping, which would probably come out close to the price of the Rim Rock hard cast bullet.

Is there a better (cheaper but decent) option for bullets for 357 magnum pressure levels, for range use? Maybe something local (Gwinnett county or Atlanta area) that would eliminate the shipping cost?

I suspect it would be cheaper in the long run to cast my own bullets, once I invest in the equipment. But I'm not wanting to go that far yet.

Thanks

Last edited:
Check out GA Arms (Price sheet link on right side of home page.)
Their 158gr SWCs are $29/500. They are pretty hard. I shoot low-mid-range .357 w/o any leading problems. And you can drive there too.

I use Ga. Arms stuff for most of my cast bullets. They're located in Villa Rica, but they work most gun shows.

The best thing I've found to prevent lead fouling is a very good cleaning between bullet types.

If I shoot an all lead diet, I have little build up. If I shoot all jacketed, same thing.

It's when I go to mixing that I have trouble. The two metals tend to want to stick to one another.

It's like liquors, either are fine alone, but don't mix light and darks.

I was in the same boat. the three options i found:

1) Ga Arms- if you head out I-20 for any reason stop by and pick them up in person. save shipping. or check with them and have them bring them to a local gun show. great prices on lead bullets and they shoot great.

2) Zero/Roze Distribution - their pricing on FMJ/JHP is great and they ship USPS I'm pretty sure so the shipping is very reasonable (they are in AL if it matters). their inventory seems to be a bit better these days and again i've been very happy with the quality of the bullets.

3) The others - here are some good ones to check on pricing and availability. I've heard good things about all of them but haven't personally ordered from any of them:

Montana Gold, Precision Delta, Mid , tjconevera.com , www.rmrbullets.com and lastly one of the sponsors of the forum: http://store.midatlanticbullets.com/

hope that helps...

GA Arms will be at the Marietta Gun show this weekend. Great ammo and by far the best customer service you can find. If you have a problem with their ammo, they will either replace or refund; they 100% guarantee it. And...they are local. Cant beat that. The guys who run that place are 1st class!!

Back
Top Bottom