• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Survial Knife (A Must Have!)

armistead1979

Default rank <2500 posts
Mr. Armistead
100   0
Reaction score
I have found that out of the knives I have owned in my opinion the Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Fixed Blade Knife is the best! Anybody disagree and why? I have listed factory info and specs below and for $50.00 you can not go wrong.

The Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Fixed Blade Knife from the Gerber Bear Grylls Survival Series of gear is highly reliable and versatile. This knife is indispensable for any survival kit and comes in handy during extreme situations. Ideal for mountain trekking, this carbon stainless steel knife with its sharp cutting edges can easily pierce through even the toughest materials. The serrated blade makes cutting a cinch. Unlike any fixed blade knife, the Gerber Bear Grylls Knife incorporates innovative features like a stainless steel pommel for hammering and a sheath with built-in fire starter and diamond sharpener. Ergonomic slip-resistive rubber handle of this Gerber knife offers maximum grip while handling it. This blade of this knife is mildew- resistant, which makes it highly durable.

Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Fixed Blade Knife:
Half-serrated, carbon stainless steel drop point blade is ideal for edge retention and cutting rope
Ergonomic textured rubber grip maximizes comfort and reduces slippage
Features a stainless steel pommel at the base of the handle for hammering
Knife handle includes an emergency whistle integrated into the lanyard cord
Fire starter with Ferrocerium Rod locks into sheath for storage
Military-grade, mildew resistant sheath also features a diamond sharpener for on-the-go blade sharpening
Overall knife length: 10.0"
Blade length: 4.8"
Weight (with sheath): 14.7 oz
Weight (no sheath): 11.2 oz

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,531
Most experts agree that a 3 1/2" - 5" blade is optimum for "survival" purposes.

The above knife seems to be a good candidate. My only concern would be a non stainless/ high carbon blade would not fare well in a very wet or saltwater environment due to high cartons propensity to rust compared to one w/ stainless steel such as the Doug Ritter RSK III, Fallkniven, or some of the other better known companies like stainless offerings from Gerber, Benchmade, etc.

The B.G. knife does seem to be well thought out. All blades are a compromise of some sort & that one should be a good option.

I've always liked and used Gerber knives for the sharpening and edge holding abilities.When did Gerber start making them in China?
I asked for one for my B-day one year but told my wife noknives made in China and I believe she told me that was one of her choices but it had made in china stamped on the package. Again, i may be wrong and am curious to know for sure.

I am actually a really big fan of the Glock knife. Tenifer treated carbon steel that is sharp as hell. I take it everywhere, and have used it for everything from cleaning fish to splitting firewood.

I am actually a really big fan of the Glock knife. Tenifer treated carbon steel that is sharp as hell. I take it everywhere, and have used it for everything from cleaning fish to splitting firewood.
I love my Glock knife, for $27 it's incredible. mine came with a really bad grinded uneven edge though. I polished the blade and put a convex edge on mine then stropped it and put a striker groove at the base, wish it'd come from the factory like that.

Country of Origin: China
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...Gerber+Bear+Grylls+Ultimate+Fixed+Blade+Knife

A lot of Gerbers are made in China. Same with Buck and some other "American" brands. Check the packages to be sure. I have plenty of foreign products so I'm not throwing any stones. I do try to buy American made when I can find something of equal quality that doesn't cost too much more.

My favorite made in USA knives:
classic Kabar - $50
ESEE Izula -$50
Buck folder model 285 -$20

Back
Top Bottom