• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best way to refinish a metal (basketball) pole?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sanding+...03&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_3it1vtku3v_e_p37

I have used these and they work well. It will etch the metal so if a smooth finish is desired I would be careful.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-Paint-a...MIrPnjwPOI3gIVCYrICh381gMrEAQYBSABEgJu9vD_BwE

These also work well.

But as others have said if you are just trying to make it last a few more years I would use a chemical and then paint over it
I've used those on wood before and yeah, they will remove some material. Never tried on paint/metal. Second link doesn't work?

I've used those on wood before and yeah, they will remove some material. Never tried on paint/metal. Second link doesn't work?

It's for one of those luffa looking sanding sponges that goes on a drill. They sell them at home depot. They work pretty good at removing a lot of material

OK, used one of my existing sanding wheels on my grinder and it comes on immediately, down to bare metal. Guess I have a project for this week.
Be cautious of newly exposed surfaces that were under rust. If you don't put something on it, it may rust again (flash rusting) depending on the material. I was refinishing some wrought iron chairs and left the bare metal uncoated for a night or two in the summer humidity... had to go at it again with a wire brush, but it was much easier to remove.

Be cautious of newly exposed surfaces that were under rust. If you don't put something on it, it may rust again (flash rusting) depending on the material. I was refinishing some wrought iron chairs and left the bare metal uncoated for a night or two in the summer humidity.
Yep, I immediately spray painted it just to hold it for a day or two until I can tackle the whole job.

6ED26426-F523-4004-B081-9EB1A99B0C96.jpeg

WARNING:

If the outside of the metal is in poor condition, likely the inside is corroded, too.

How do you know this metal pole is sufficiently strong to be safe?

Is it in danger of falling on a kid during a game? What if some hotshot hangs on the rim, even momentarily, during a dunk?

I actually had a potential client call me about a suit over such an incident. His son got seriously injured when a basketball goal's pole fell over and hit him and slammed him to the pavement and the metal rim cut him. The kid "says" he wasn't dunking or hanging on the rim, and it just fell down during normal use of taking shots at it. Examination the next day showed it was rusted nearly through on the bottom 2 feet of it, even though the outside looked OK.

Back
Top Bottom