• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best way to refinish a metal (basketball) pole?

P.S. Since that potential client called me, my brother and I tested the basketball goals at our houses. He wriggled his, and it seemed OK, but a few months later it fell over when his kids were playing with it. Nobody got hurt, but they could have. I wriggled mine and it kinked near the bottom, so I decided to snap it completely off and get rid of it. I broke that 4" diameter steel pole like a popsicle stick. No real effort required. (But digging up the 200 pounds of cement anchoring it 3 feet deep was quite a chore).

Both of our goal poles were badly rusted at the bottom. Mine had moss and roots and vines and other plant material UP inside it, growing to a height of 2 feet above ground level. His was just rusted, but not so much vegitative matter.

Grinder with a wire cup brush, crimped..... not knotted. (SAFTY GLASSES AND THIN LEATHER GLOVES)
Thank me later.

Like the title says. 18 years of being outside has taken it's toll. Need to remove old paint and rust and refinish.
I'm interested in EASY. A couple of years ago I tried a wire brush on a drill. I'm pretty sure I'd have died of old age before finishing.

While mechanical is preferable, if chemical cuts the time down significantly, I'm in.

So what's the magic?

Back
Top Bottom