• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Big backyard project

Compared to the cost of the entire project. The expensive part of the baskets was time honestly. They come precut and halfway put together, but building them out into a box shape, supporting the sides of each one so they don't budge out, and then lacing them all together was almost 25% of the labor on the project.

For approximately 200 ft of wall averaging a height of about 9 ft, the galvanized steel baskets alone cost me approximately $10K.

6 bucks a sqft for a retaining wall doesn't sound to terribly bad. I've seen them go 8n before. Definitely a lot of labor

6 bucks a sqft for a retaining wall doesn't sound to terribly bad. I've seen them go 8n before. Definitely a lot of labor

Right, but you have to add in the cost of preping the site, and the cost of all the rock that needs to go in. Total cost of just the wall plus putting the dirt behind it was about was about $60K. That includes me being the general contractor doing half the labor myself, a crew or day labor's, machine rental, 40 dump truck loads of rock, 60 dump trucks of dirt. I could have saved $15K if I just used granite and didn't face the exterior of the wall with River Rock.

It was a DIY project I'll never do again and would not recommend. It was the right time in my life to do it and all the variables lined up: bought house bottom of market in hottest ATL ZIP, time off work, small young family, overall cost and ROI, my age being in my early 30's. Overall it took 6 months and about 2000 hours of truly back breaking work. It was the most fun I'll never want to have again and it was only fun because I get to enjoy the fruits of my labor. It's one thing to do it as a labor of love and it's another thing to have to do it for a living

I would like to see it but do not have the app. Can you post some pictures? I love me a good DIY project.

You should not need the app but it might try to send you to the app if you are trying to access via mobile. Imgur is a picture hosting website with a mobile app.

It is a fine job and something not only to be proud of but the memories and the reward will last a long time..I have beautiful creek not 50 ft off the deck and the front of the house faces it. Their are multiple big bolder,s and have several small water falls..I would give my left nut to have something like that. But my health is to far gone and don't have the funds. Well done!

DADI03 DADI03 @Realstudent368 @adrianrog @24on48hunting @buttplate BIKER13 BIKER13 brikon brikon keith089 keith089 REDX REDX DinkyDau DinkyDau O ole ed

There is another important detail I forgot to mention that I'm sure you guys will get a kick out of. I got a $5K fine from the Georgia Environmental Protection Agency!

When I first contacted the civil engineer, he told me the permitting process would be a nightmare and take 2 years, if I got permission at all. I would have to get permits from the city because the walls were over 4 ft, I would have to get permission from the state since I was disturbing land 25 ft from the creek, and I would have to get permission from the Core of Engineers because I proposed moving the creek away from my house. He told me in so many words that since I was a homeowner and not a business, that I should just do the work without getting it permitted.

The state found out when I was doing the final part moving the creek. A neighbor called because there was mud in the water downstream the goes into the park with the walking trail. They actually came by and put a stop work order on while I was out of town on business.

When the City and EPA guys came out I made sure to wear my braves t-shirt and talk with my best southern draw. It was a good move because they were definitely some good ol Georgia boys. They were impressed by my work, especially the fact that I took the proper precautions like using silt fences and had a wash area for the dump trucks so they wouldn't track mud on the residential streets.

I asked the EPA guy how I could have avoided getting mud in the water as I was making the creek banks the recommended 2:1 slope and supporting them with rip rap. He said "well, you can't fix an artery without spilling some blood. The only issue I see here is that you didn't ask for permission." He said he didn't have any choice but to fine me, but after I paid the fine I was all in the clear with the EPA.

The city guys were also cool and actually never made me pull any permits, plus gave me written final approval and sign off on the project.

Back
Top Bottom