• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Big old tree roots

Klif

Air Force Icon Supporter
ODT Junkie!
31   0
Reaction score
I've got a couple of big old oak trees in my front yard and some others in the back and they have roots running on top of the ground. I'm talking 3 or 4 inches across and 6 or 8 feet long before they go back underground. These things are playing havoc with my riding mower. I ran over one that was a bit more exposed from the recent rains and it snagged a blade and bent it and the pulley and support and put the deck out of whack (this is Troy Bilt Horse with 42 inch dual blade cut that is going to cost me over 300 bucks to have fixed). (and for that I could buy a nice World War II bubba'fied rifle and a box or two of bullets).

Anyway, how much damage will it do to the trees if I take a chainsaw to the exposed roots and cut those suckers off at each end and pull them up? I'm sure there are more than enough roots under the ground to hold these trees up and I don't think cutting some off will kill the trees but I'm not tree smart (or lawnmower smart or rich enough to have someone else cut my grass).

So, anyone speak tree and can tell me what I can do? The other alternative is to bring in a dump truck load of dirt, cover up the roots and put down sod but that's a lot of work and I'm old and not work smart and I just don't want to do that.

So, someone smart give me ideas. By the way I like cutting up things with my chainsaws but they have to be low to the ground and not too big. Roots on the ground fit that description.

Help before I break my mower again.

If possible try not to cut anything under the tree canopy. Seal off any large roots with wound sealer and try not to cut anything thicker than 2 inches. If the tree is healthy some root pruning will cause no harm but if in doubt it's best to consult an arborist.
Not a professional tree trimmer but have spent years raising Bonsai's.

Could you put a flower bed around the tree so you wouldn't have to mow there? Possibly just spend a little extra time there with the weed trimmer?

I planted day Lilly and put red mulch around the two oaks I have,had same problem , saved from destroying mower

Does not seem to hurt them when they get cut flat from the mower, heck dust cut them off even with the ground and seal the cut and bam good to go

Back
Top Bottom