• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bill of Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Georgia weapons license DOES NOT guarantee that the buyer is a good person or that they have never been arrested for a felony. A person who has committed a felony can plead under the First Offender Act and then have their criminal history hidden 7 yrs after they complete their sentence for the crime. This means that they can easily obtain a GWL like anyone else.

I actually had some dummy admit to this once while trying to buy a Glock 21 from me. If he had not told on himself then I would have went through with it. It certainly changed my views on persons who have a GWL. Afterwards, I did plenty of research with some of my full-time LEO buddys and it is 100% true. Ex-cons can and do obtain GWLs. Only the local judge in the county where the offender lives can obtain their First Offender files. Even the F.B.I. cant obtain the files without a warrant. In short: The NCIC does not show that the person was ever arrested.

Therefore, the answer is to trust your feelings. If a buyer seems shady then it doesn't matter what type of license, permit or letter from mom that they have. Georgia law says that you have the obligation to find out if that person is legally able to purchase a gun. That's all. As long as that person has a GA I.D. and tells you that they have a clean history then you have legally done your part of the deal. If a person tries to illegally buy a gun from you then it is also your obligation to report said crime to the police.

Now that I've scared the crap out of you, Happy trading! :)

I don't think it is worded that way. You can't knowingly sell a gun to a prohibited person, but you don't have the obligation to find out. In other words, you would know if your brother was a felon but there is no reasonable way you would know if CaptDave off the ODT was.

A Georgia weapons license DOES NOT guarantee that the buyer is a good person or that they have never been arrested for a felony. A person who has committed a felony can plead under the First Offender Act and then have their criminal history hidden 7 yrs after they complete their sentence for the crime. This means that they can easily obtain a GWL like anyone else.

I actually had some dummy admit to this once while trying to buy a Glock 21 from me. If he had not told on himself then I would have went through with it. It certainly changed my views on persons who have a GWL. Afterwards, I did plenty of research with some of my full-time LEO buddys and it is 100% true. Ex-cons can and do obtain GWLs. Only the local judge in the county where the offender lives can obtain their First Offender files. Even the F.B.I. cant obtain the files without a warrant. In short: The NCIC does not show that the person was ever arrested.

Therefore, the answer is to trust your feelings. If a buyer seems shady then it doesn't matter what type of license, permit or letter from mom that they have. Georgia law says that you have the obligation to find out if that person is legally able to purchase a gun. That's all. As long as that person has a GA I.D. and tells you that they have a clean history then you have legally done your part of the deal. If a person tries to illegally buy a gun from you then it is also your obligation to report said crime to the police.

Now that I've scared the crap out of you, Happy trading! :)

Mud Puppies are so full of ...information

And your childish name calling is SO helpful.

My "information" comes directly from dozens of officers, judges, DAs, and even the Lieutenant Governor of Georgia.

Facts, Get some.
Oh, soooo sorry to have offended you. Seems like a mud puppy would have thicker skin and better sense of humor

I don't think it is worded that way. You can't knowingly sell a gun to a prohibited person, but you don't have the obligation to find out. In other words, you would know if your brother was a felon but there is no reasonable way you would know if CaptDave off the ODT was.

Why is it so hard for folks to comprehend the KNOWINGLY, par of a firearms transaction?
I hope it is never an amendment for the general populous to vote on.
We will all be at a FFL dealer for each and every transaction. Then the overly paranoid folks can finally have the firearm registration they yearn for so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom