Bill to change the definition of an antique firearm

Laxguy59

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
64   0
Reaction score
http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/bill-change-definition-antique-firearms

bill submitted to the U.S. House of Representatives would change the definition of an antique firearm by changing the year it was made.

Currently, any gun made in 1898 or before is deemed an antique but the new bill would change that to 1913. This change would be significant because it would increase the number of antique firearms that could be sold and shipped with a Federal Firearm License.

Last edited:
That's solid news....there are a lot of still functional quality pre-1913 rifles out there. Now if they could just get our Garands and Carbines back from South Korea we'd be in business.
That will take a Repub president to get done, so its still a good 6+years out.

I guess some of the older Mosins would fall under this if passes.

I wil say, the antique guns seem to go the way of flea markets and pawn shops and get mistreated and sold to nonenthusiasts IMO

The quoted article cannot even copy correctly. I should read "that could be sold and shipped without a Federal Firearms License."
I'm not so sure I see the need for this.

Despite the argument that all reduction in restrictions are good...

1898 make sense from a design standpoint. That is generally the point after whice designs were made for smokeless cartridges. A 1913 date is arbitrarily set on the start of WWI. If you read the original, some want it to be a floating date of 70 years. There is false logic that certain age it does not "need" over site. A S&W Model 10 from 1909 is just as dangerous as one from 2014.

That will take a Repub president to get done, so its still a good 6+years out.

I guess some of the older Mosins would fall under this if passes.

I wil say, the antique guns seem to go the way of flea markets and pawn shops and get mistreated and sold to nonenthusiasts IMO

I agree on the repub president getting it done....still a damn shame. As far as the older rifles go, a lot of folks would be able to grab a nice Swiss M1896/11 or M1911 which are more often than not in excellent condition. Either way, I think it's a step in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom