Black powder season! 10/15/16

I did a bad thing today. I shot a buck, but i coulnt find him. He laid down 50 yards from where i shot him. I thought he was dead. His leg wasnt working when he ran by so i figured i busted his shoulder. I got down to retrieve him and the sob took off. He dropped a little blood to the spot where he laid down. After that, not a drop. Im gonna hunt that spot every time i hunt until im sure hes not walking around with a broken leg. I feel like an asshole now.

Oh yeah it makes you feel like crap, but it happens every so often. Look for buzzards this morning. Some shots do not penetrate all the way through and leave very little blood, even with a center fire rifle. I have seen it several times. He could be piled up within 100 yards of where you last saw him.

Oh yeah it makes you feel like crap, but it happens every so often. Look for buzzards this morning. Some shots do not penetrate all the way through and leave very little blood, even with a center fire rifle. I have seen it several times. He could be piled up within 100 yards of where you last saw him.

He made it at least 300. I radius searched the whole area. Ill look some more after my morning sit.

Reactions: MRH
He made it at least 300. I radius searched the whole area. Ill look some more after my morning sit.

Well at least you did that. It sucks bad to lose one. I know all about it...He'll probably turn up again if he is still alive. Was he a big one?

I lost a nice 10 point one time and found him a week later. He dropped like a ton of bricks and laid there for a few seconds. Next thing I knew he was up and very quickly un-assing the area. If a buck drops and doesn't move, stay on him. If he drops, kicks around, then stops moving, you're probably OK. These are little lessons from myself, to myself. LOL

Well at least you did that. It sucks bad to lose one. I know all about it...He'll probably turn up again if he is still alive. Was he a big one?

I lost a nice 10 point one time and found him a week later. He dropped like a ton of bricks and laid there for a few seconds. Next thing I knew he was up and very quickly un-assing the area. If a buck drops and doesn't move, stay on him. If he drops, kicks around, then stops moving, you're probably OK. These are little lessons from myself, to myself. LOL

He wasnt very big, good freezer deer. Ive been kicking myself in the ass for not waiting longer to get out of the tree. Next time, im setting,an alarm and waiting.

Reactions: MRH
He wasnt very big, good freezer deer. Ive been kicking myself in the ass for not waiting longer to get out of the tree. Next time, im setting,an alarm and waiting.

Hindsight is 20/20 man. How many times have they went down and stayed down? That's hunting.
Good luck this morning!

Killed a good 8 point yesterday morning. My first big buck with a muzzleloader.
20161015_092715.jpg
IMG_00821.jpg

Well it didnt take long for the deer gods to call for my penance. I just blew a shot on a 150 class monster. Damn this has been the weirdest 2 days of hunting ive ever had. The monster walked right through were that buck laid down yesterday. Im starting to think i need to trade my gun in for a camera.

Back
Top Bottom