• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Block the serial number on posted for sale guns.

They have to file a report at the end of each week, it's called leads online or something like that. Used to have to do it when I worked at a pawn shop.

But it turns out no one really checks that report because this gun had been in and out of pawn like 6 times, each time the report was sent and the pawn shop owner had a record of those reports.

Pawn shop owner said they'd be happy to provide the reports to the ATF or McDonough police but no one ever asked or seemed to care.
So, in the end, the guy that reported the gun stolen got it back and the last guy to pay money for the gun lost and everyone in between skated and the police don’t really give a rat’s ass…kinda sums it up.

So, in the end, the guy that reported the gun stolen got it back and the last guy to pay money for the gun lost and everyone in between skated and the police don’t really give a rat’s ass…kinda sums it up.
Pretty much. The ATF never even asked who I got it from or asked for any information. I had all the information available and ready for them but they never asked.

They only called me because the buyer was calling them everyday demanding they arrest me shut down my business.

Got to this conversation late, one of my favorite ones, right up there with the straw sales being illegal discussion.

I have dealt with this issue a few times professionally and personally. Frankly, it's hard as all get out to get a gun traced by LEO unless some one has been shot with it, and the trace is critical. If there is a dude there holding a smoking gun, they don't really care about doing any trace.

Actually had a stolen gun turn up in a gun shop, but the serial no. was off by one digit from the box. Gun was purchased from a dealer during big sale, and dealer freely admitted that the boxes could have gotten switched. They had a shipping record of the gun in the pawn shop SN.

But HEY, we know a righteous dealer copies the number from the gun on to the 4473 - so we just need to look at the 4473.

Except that the dealer had surrendered its license, and all the 4473s were in the big ATF warehouse you see at the end of the Raiders of the Lost Ark. ATF would have to do a physical search, and despite numerous half hearted requests from local LEO, ATF response was Tango Sierra. Never heard a word.

None of the local agencies will do a search for private cell unless you and the gun are standing in the station.

As to a potential purchaser but there are a very few guns where the serial number is significant, but that's a very small universe.

What would be the reasoning?
It was maybe a year or so ago that a guy posted about having this experience here.

Some companies are willing to send out replacement parts at little to no cost, but if they believe they've already sent out one for that firearm then their just gonna think your running game.

Back
Top Bottom