• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bob Hope and 40 Years

Ballplayer

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
Ballplayer
37   0
Reaction score
40 years ago today, Dec 21st 1971, me and my buddies were picked off the feild in Veitnam by choppers without any notice, we were wondering where the F--k are we were going now ?? We could tell we were headed south but did'nt know where and the pilots acted like they did'nt know. We then flew over a city and then circled over a US base and could see a LARGE crowd of GI's grouped real tight together, we were thinking HOLY S--T this is gonna be BAD. DAMN, it was a Bob Hope Christmas Show ! No better American than Bob Hope even if he was born in England, got personally to meet Redd Foxx and baseball Hall of Famer, Johnny Bench who was in his prime then and told him I'd see him in a year or two, actually did while playing minor league baseball ( he remembered) and he bought dinner for me and a few teammates later that night. Johnny went on to super stardom status and I went on to flop status, LOL, Life has been good, think I'm gonna celebrate today.

Thanks for sharing and your service! My instructor was a MP, and he did executive security for Bob Hope when he visited the troops in Vietnam! Really cool story!

Thanks for sharing and your service! My instructor was a MP, and he did executive security for Bob Hope when he visited the troops in Vietnam! Really cool story!
I was as far away from being an MP as one could be, LOL, but security is what they brought us in for. We had to re-enforce the outer perimiters around the base and had choppers stacked over-head circiling incase they were needed during the show but everthing was calm. We did'nt get to see the show but did get to meet everyone and later we were fed very good which was more impressive to us at the time, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom