Bolt vs Semi-Auto through a can?

RHelton10

Default rank <4000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
422   0
Reaction score
To all the suppressor enthusiasts out there, has anyone ran a comparison of bolt action vs semi-auto through a suppressor to see how noticeable the difference is? Does it really make enough of a difference to justify going with a new host? I've always heard that the bolt actions are quieter because none of the sound is coming back into the ejection chamber like it does when the bolt comes back on a semi-auto, but HOW much quieter?

Its not just the gas that's louder on a semi bolt also the noise from the cycling of the bolt.

Yeah, I realize that's going to be louder. But the overall question is between the noise of the bolt cycling and the gases expelling into the chamber, HOW much louder do you think it is over a bolt? In other words, is it worth buying a bolt action rifle if you already have several threaded semi-auto hosts?

From what I hear people with .223 bolt guns and AR's are suprised at how much quieter the .223 is from the bolt gun.

From a 22, my AR-22 is very quiet, but my FVSR is just a firing pin, its silly quiet.

yes its worth it, in centerfire and in rimfire. I don't like to shoot my AR's without ears on, but you can shoot a bolt 308 with a can all day with no ears. I would do it just to fully appreciate the can. Especially with all of the factory threaded options out there these days. Add to it the fact that you can use subsonic centerfire rounds for even quieter stuff.

On NFAtalk the numbers look similar between the two, but personal statements from members claim that bolt is better.

Also, subs and bolts are better just because of cycling issues.

- - - Updated - - -

yes its worth it, in centerfire and in rimfire. I don't like to shoot my AR's without ears on, but you can shoot a bolt 308 with a can all day with no ears. I would do it just to fully appreciate the can. Especially with all of the factory threaded options out there these days. Add to it the fact that you can use subsonic centerfire rounds for even quieter stuff.

Why would Test results not indicate a major difference? I've always heard a bolt is better, but the numbers don't seem to say that.

The numbers on NFA talk are a little hard to decipher because they dont have many semi hosts there tested, and barely any where they test the same can and ammo on a bolt and then a semi.

I know personally its a pretty big difference. The source of the sound is 20~" further away, and you don't have a chamber opening under pressure right by your ear.

Back
Top Bottom