• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Boom: Iowa gun permits soar five-fold since 2010

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/01/23/boom-iowa-gun-permits-soar-five-fold-since-2010/

With Iowa set to take the center stage of politics, 2016 candidates headed there to lay the ground work for the country's first caucus might take note that growth in the number of state-issued gun carry permits has exploded in the Hawkeye State.
In 2010, Iowa's numbers were just shy of 40,000, but according to data from the Iowa Department of Public Safety, last year the number crested 220,000. In 2011 alone, the number of permits issued in the state more than doubled.

Iowa leans towards some measure of restoring rights....

On Jan. 1, 2011, Iowa became a "shall issue" state and also extended the validity of gun permits from one year to five years. The law change made it easier for people to apply and be approved for permits. It also meant people didn't have to renew their permits every year and simplified the process.

Not just Iowa but with available public data and not all data is public so this number is underreporting true numbers across the nation. Permits have more than doubled since 2007 in the recorded states. Also 5 states DO NOT require a permit to carry if lawful to possess a weapon.

Nationally, a report by the Crime Prevention Research Center found that between 2007 and 2014 found there was a 127-percent increase in gun permit holders in America.

I sincerely believe all the attacks on our rights both from government and anti-rights groups have shifted public opinion more toward a pro-gun attitude. Those straddling the fence were pressured into making a decision. Biased idiots chose poorly while those with a measure of cognitive scrutiny made a decision based on fact rather than propaganda and junk science.

I believe it has strengthened us.

Last edited:
Awesome, I can't wait to hear the same about IL. To continue this increase we need to really be focused on bringing new people into shooting, and avoid excluding certain groups based on their perceived politics. The fate of the 2nd depends on us being inclusive and welcoming. So far we're doing a damned good job.

Awesome, I can't wait to hear the same about IL. To continue this increase we need to really be focused on bringing new people into shooting, and avoid excluding certain groups based on their perceived politics. The fate of the 2nd depends on us being inclusive and welcoming. So far we're doing a damned good job.
The truth is a powerful tool. Also being nice to those on the otherside, let them be the ones to show their butts. I have talked to several people that were anti-gun and at the end of the talk they were astonished at what they thought they knew. I definitely agree with Laufen this will be won one conversation at a time.

The truth is a powerful tool. Also being nice to those on the otherside, let them be the ones to show their butts. I have talked to several people that were anti-gun and at the end of the talk they were astonished at what they thought they knew. I definitely agree with Laufen this will be won one conversation at a time.
It's amazing how one honest conversation can begin to break down stereotypes on the anti-gun side. It's easy for them to sit back at the computer and parrot anti-rights talking points, but in person folks have been very receptive.

The biggest issue is fear of violence and/or accidents involving guns. My first conversation is always centered around the fact that I am a father and husband who's primary concern is for the safety of his family. I have gotten the ear of a number of anti-gun friends, and my first discussion/lesson is always gun safety, I don't even bring out a gun for them to hold until I get rid of their initial fear. For a lot of people it's like seeing a gun is like seeing a snake, and you have to take away some of that initial fear through two-way discussion, and a LOT of LISTENING.

Being macho, or acting like guns are no big deal is the fastest way to turn them off. Racking slides, sighting down the bore, etc is not a way to introduce people to guns, especially those that are a bit nervous around them. I lay it out on the dining room table disassembled. It looks less scary that way. It's just some pieces. Then I explain what each piece does, and slowly assemble the gun while they ask questions.

It's a proven philosophy. I hope y'all can use it as well.

Last edited:
Notice how scare tactics being used by the left only increase the sale of firearms, ammo, accessories, tactical gear and everything related. Makes you wonder if the bastards own stock.

Notice how scare tactics being used by the left only increase the sale of firearms, ammo, accessories, tactical gear and everything related. Makes you wonder if the bastards own stock.
The panic was generated by gun owners. The mad rush always begins well ahead of any legislation.

Back
Top Bottom