• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Boresight, two lines that never meet

In boresight does the line of sight and the line of bore meet?

• Yes

Votes: 35 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
The line of sight and the line of bore run parallel, these lines represent a line running through the center of the scope and a line running through the center of the barrel respectively. When the crosshairs on a scope are moved and adjusted to a target and later to a shot group, they take up displacement from the line of sight for errors or for non-standard conditions of weather and weapon performance. This deviation may or may not occur in boresight, however, it will occur when you zero. This offset line is looked at as the line of sight and for a practical purpose that works. The trajectory crosses this offset at two points. I appreciate the participation in the discussion.

The line of sight and the line of bore run parallel, these lines represent a line running through the center of the scope and a line running through the center of the barrel respectively. When the crosshairs on a scope are moved and adjusted to a target and later to a shot group, they take up displacement from the line of sight for errors or for non-standard conditions of weather and weapon performance. This deviation may or may not occur in boresight, however, it will occur when you zero. This offset line is looked at as the line of sight and for a practical purpose that works. The trajectory crosses this offset at two points. I appreciate the participation in the discussion.
It's "Line of sight", not "Line of the sight".

Line of sight is a straight line that runs from the shooters eye to the reticle to whatever the reticle covers down range. The positioning and angle of the sight is not relevant and, in fact, the line of the sight is often not parallel to the line of bore, either.

It's "Line of sight", not "Line of the sight".

Line of sight is a straight line that runs from the shooters eye to the reticle to whatever the reticle covers down range. The positioning and angle of the sight is not relevant and, in fact, the line of the sight is often not parallel to the line of bore, either.
Thanks for the comment

here is an AutoCAD
3dscoperifle.PNG
of the line of sight and the line of bore and the displacement. Not saying, anyone, is wrong just showing that it is different from what we have all thought.

For anyone that disagrees, do not degrade, troll or just post with no point of reference, I am doing this to share and learn. If you are moved then start another thread. We don't do any degrading on folks that post high prices so why should we knock down people that are trying to learn by sharing.

Attachments

• boresight111.png
    boresight111.png
    44 KB · Views: 4
  • boresight112.png
    boresight112.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 3
here is an AutoCADView attachment 1478846 of the line of sight and the line of bore and the displacement. Not saying, anyone, is wrong just showing that it is different from what we have all thought.
It's not different from what we have thought. It's justs that we understand that what you are call the displacement is actually the line of sight.

That is where we differ as I no longer think that way and I am open to how others think.
It's not a matter of a different way of thinking or a different understanding. It's all common knowledge to most of us. We just use the common language associated with it.

Back
Top Bottom