Bow rankings

TbarG

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
41   0
Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing the popular ODT rankings on bow. Where do you rank Parker, Mathews, PSE, Bowtec, Hoyt and some of the other bows used in Ga?

After coming up through the ranks from recurve -> no name compound (late 90s) -> Browning F5 (2002) -> Hoyt AlphaMax32 (2009) -> ??? (2014)

All I can say is that if your shooting something 5 years or older, your going to be impressed with just about any quality bow made today. Each time I upgraded I thought it couldn't get any better and each time I've been wrong. If your shooting something 10 years old or more just about anything will blow you away and in a few years it will happen all over again.

I would not be ashamed to shoot anything that I can place an arrow accurately because shot placement has more to do with killing deer or wining tournaments than anything else!!! My uncle shot his 80's compound bow all the way up until he couldn't get parts for it any more and I'll bet it was barely shooting 200FPS. So if it feels good in your hand and you can shoot it stick with it. (or upgrade and keep your local bow guy employed) :-)

With that said I find it hard to go wrong with almost anything made by:
Bowtech / Diamond
Hoyt
Elite
Matthews / Mission

I wouldn't stick my nose up at several
Bear or PSE bows either

Everything else I've not shot so I can't comment. No matter what you really need a bow that fits you and your style and strength. Don't get 80 pound limbs if you have a torn rotator cuff. My son kill his first deer with a Diamond Razors Edge shooting 23" draw at 42 pounds and the arrow when
through both lungs and into the ground about 5 inches at 22 yards.

I step off my soap box.

^^What he said^^
I have had the opportunity to shoot many different manufacturers bows over the years and can tell you that in today's market you can't go wrong with any of them. I have shot PSE bows for over 12 years and my wife and son shoot diamond and mission. You will hear good and bad about all of them, depending on the group you are talking to. Find one in your budget that you can shoot comfortably and accurately, then practice, practice, and practice more; because it builds muscle memory.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Last edited:
Hard to go wrong with just about any of the new bows out right now. I just started shooting a 2013 Obsession and I love it. Best shooting bow I've ever shot, but I haven't shot everything on the market either. I also like the fact that Obsession Bows is a Georgia company.

Mathews Monster Chill for me and my son is shooting the Mathews/Mission Craze but I love the new Hoyt's also like the folks before me they're all great shooting bows now

I'm personally shooting a 2013 elite hunter and it's the smoothest an best shooting bow that I've shot I chose this bow over all the Mathews and Hoyt bows and I love it and elites lifetime warranty is second to none. Personally my favorite bow company on the market. But everyone's style and option is different

I love my Bear Mauler, paid around $550 for it and it does the job. I have killed several deer with it, I know it isn't the nicest bow out their but it is a great platform to learn with

I'm personally shooting a 2013 elite hunter and it's the smoothest an best shooting bow that I've shot I chose this bow over all the Mathews and Hoyt bows and I love it and elites lifetime warranty is second to none. Personally my favorite bow company on the market. But everyone's style and option is different

Elite's warranty is also one of the few transferable warranties out there. Great shooting bow I'm just a fan boy

I shoot a Bow Tech and my 7yr. old daughter shoots a Mathews Mission. My suggestion is to shoot several different bows and buy the one that feels good to you!

I shot Hoyt, Mathews, PSE and BOWTECH before making a decision. Out of these bow makers bows the BOWTECH had the smoothest draw all the way through to full draw. Very nice shooting bows!!

Back
Top Bottom