Brands of dog food you use?

It depends on where you live as to the choices you have for buying food. Where I live it's Walmart, a feed store and Pet Supplies Plus. It also depends on the breed of your dog because some dogs have skin problems because of the fillers put in dog food and require a better quality food without fillers or they break out with sores and they itch and scratch all the time. 95% of what Walmart sells has corn or wheat fillers in it. Pet Supplies Plus has higher prices and the feed store sells good food but it also has fillers so I am stuck with feeding Chicken Soup kibble from Pet Supplies Plus to my Cane Corso and English Bulldog and my pitbull mix gets Diamond from Walmart or she will eat anything else. BTW my pitbull mix has always been outside and eats anything we give her and she is very healthy and 15yrs old. Telling people they shouldn't have a dog because they feed the dog what they can afford to feed them is ignorant. The man is atleast providing a home for the dog and his dog or dogs are not sitting in the pound waiting to be gassed or running the streets eating garbage to survive.

I feed what I consider reasonable and I can afford but if I could find the same quality food cheaper they would be fed that instead. You will add 5 years to your dog's life with a healthy diet. This statement may or may not be true and it is pure speculation not backed up with any facts. I am 48 and when I was a kid we had a pure bred English Pointer that was fed nothing but Skippy from a can and the occasional table scraps the only shots he received were rabies. He was an outside dog that was just as healthy as any other and he lived to be 17yrs old. We had cats that ate the cheapest cat food but they lived to be 20yrs old and never had any shots. People and animals live lives that are a crap shoot. Some live longer lives and some live shorter ones and what they ate wasn't a factor on when they died.

I order mine on Amazon.

- - - Updated - - -

Just Purina Dog Chow from Wal-Mart. I don't have any pets stores in my town to get the good stuff.

Amazon delivers free of charge. It will end up being cheaper to feed high quality food. I've gone down that road.

If folks would stop dropping off their dogs in front of my house then I could afford to feed better, but none are complaining. Of the 6 we have here, I only bought 2 of them, the rest were abandoned, tried giving a couple away with no luck, and I just don't have the heart to send them to the pound which is basically a death sentence. So I feed what I can afford.

Nick T

no worries man. you are giving them more than they would get anywhere else. keep up the good work. you are not the problem.

I switched to Simply Nourish Grain Free a few months ago. It's rated 4 stars at dogfoodadvisor.com and it's $41 for a 24 lbs bag. You can pick it up at PetSmart. So it's about $10 less than Wellness, Blue Buffalo, etc...

Back
Top Bottom