• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Brass tumbler media

good info here... i am going to pick up a tumbler shortly. I dont really clean my .45 brass as I only load light target stuff so I dont care if it looks like ammo from the civil war. My 308 however... will be cleaned for consistency. As of now, I just use a combo of dish soap, hotwater, lemon juice and vinegar in a plastic shaker. It doesnt get it "new shiney" but works pretty damn well.

Thanks for all the great info guys. This is exactly what I was looking for as far as what varieties of media people have used and where to get it. I like options and would rather learn from other people rather than try a bunch of things that don't work well.

The whole problem with vibra-tumbling media is the stuff does get into primer pockets / holes!
Some people do the tumbling prior to decapping / resizing as vibra-tumbling typically does very little in the
way of cleaning primer pockets! So, use a primer pocket brush to clean them after decapping / resizing.
Afterwards, an overnight soak in a citric acid / Dawn Dishwashing Liquid solution is good for removing resizing lube and will
leave the brass in great condition for resisting oxidation and handling stains.

Lizzard Litter form PetSmart is available locally and only ~$14 OTD. Best stuff for vibra-tumbling.

Stainless-steel media is the very best for wet-tumbling as it lasts forever, will not get stuck in the primer pocket,
and will actually clean the primer pocket ... However, get ready to spend a lot on the wet "drum type" tumbler that is required!

Back
Top Bottom