• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Browning T-Bolt Sporter

howl

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
26   0
Reaction score
The stock I got has some figure and curl in it. I'm hitting the squirrel-head sized swinger at ~25 yards 7/10 of the time off-hand and 10/10 rested. It needs a lighter spring in the trigger, but that is all the bad I can type about it. Browning says it'll go down to 3.5. Mine feels like its at least four. Quick trip to have a spring made and swapped out should fix it at close to two.

I was going get a Leupold rimfire 2-7x and conetrol mounts until I saw the scope. I had a Simmons shotgun scope on hand that has better glass and adjustments. I may try to look at a VXII Ultralight with a change in parallax and reticle down the road. That is really the only way I can see to get a low power variable to match this rifle well.

I tried some different ammo at the max range and scope setting I use to actually kill things. That's 35 yards and 5x. I started out testing ammo with five shot groups. I was getting tiny groups with cheap ammo. That seemed odd to me so I upped it to 10 shots to get more variation within groups.

I was surprised how well the 510 and 510B did. (That's Federal champion Target or Lightning depending on where you get it.) If you get a group of cartridges that match well it prints small. The 510B seems to vary more and can vary to the good better than regular 510. I think doing all the benchrest sorting crap would get you some really good ammo out of that cheap stuff.

Best groups of 10 shots each:
Ammo & group size
SK Standard Plus 0.484"
Winchester Subsonic HP 0.757"
Fed 510B 0.859" (average was more like 0.7")
Best hypervelocity was cci MiniMag at 0.867"

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b378_nonnydarnell_IMG_0248.jpg

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b378_nonnydarnell_IMG_0251.jpg

Back
Top Bottom