• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bucks are running hard this morning.

I was standing outside in front of my house last night. I heard some trotting down in my lower yard. So I stood there for a minute and saw a doe enter the roadway. Fair size doe walking right down the middle of the road. About a minute or two later I heard another faint trotting noise. I figured it was a little one. Nope, it was a nice 6 point or better trailing the doe. I figure 145-165 pounder. Maybe more. He was right on line if I'd been hunting if big enough to shoot. In earlier years I would've shot either one. But because of the cost to process one now I need a good one. I figured if I would have to pass on that buck, I'd be wasting my time hunting. I tell ya he was big enough I hoped he didn't see me and decide to attack me with almost no way to defend myself at the time. He was solid I could tell

One of my best friends out of four brothers took his bike out for a ride to Charlottesville down Rt 29. It's about an hour and a 10 min. drive or so and he said the highway was just absolutely littered with deer carcasses. So they're up and moving around no doubt about that.

From all the pics I've seen it looks like 8-point bucks are the vast majority of the harvest this season. Has anybody scored any more than eight? Don't get me wrong they look like some healthy eight pointers with thick tines and good spreads. I was just wondering if somebody lucked out and scored a 10 or 12.

My neighbors are wearing out the young 10pts. I only have a couple more on camera that hopefully won't get shot. They're both getting them mounted and are happy so that's something.
2550.jpeg
2530.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom